Author Topic: IPDS  (Read 21069 times)

IPDS
« on: November 18, 2003, 03:08:32 PM »
:( Hi, I was just wondering what outher firefighters thought of a persion doing an NVQ level 3 in firefighting and having a degree then coming on station and being an OIC. A bit like the Army?

IPDS
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 09:56:19 PM »
what?

Online AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
IPDS
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 11:04:49 PM »
with or without on the job experience during the degree?
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36

Offline BCM

IPDS
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 09:38:48 AM »
Wasn't this the subject of a failed experiment in the East Midlands a few years ago?

IPDS
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 01:21:16 PM »
As a person with the above criteria (exept OiC bit!)
Sounds, like a non-starter

However, accelerated promotion may be the way ahead!?!?

What are your views?

PS What do we consider 'accelerated' to mean, Afterall you can get to Stn/O in five years, Been done by someone in my Brigade recently (the only Ops. experience this person has was at a station recieving 500 calls a year!)

YAnto

IPDS
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 11:25:33 AM »
Do Degrees not include spelling these days?

IPDS
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 12:15:19 PM »
My Brigade is going into IPDS, FF in there probation will do an NVQ level 3 in Firefighting. I asked the question to an Officer ' could a Jo public do this course at a collage and walk strait into the job' ie, the same as the Army. Officers with a degree go to Sandhurst, train in the art of ****ing things up and then go and be in charge of the troops. Could this happen in the fire service with IPDS?
The Officers answer was not at this time!
In my opinion, this would be crazy. FF and OIC need that on the job learning, plus it would be bad for moral, ask a squidy what they think of a new officer!!!
 :shock:

Offline Graham Blight

IPDS
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2003, 12:03:31 PM »
Matt,
I'm not sure if you are 'extracting the michael' or your serious. Fast tracking is a way forward by the Dutch fire service so you would be able to obtain information of this through the FSC. My personal opinion is, it's a bad idea as we make enough cock-up's with officers who are supposed to know better!!
regards
Bertie Blight

Offline MShaw

IPDS
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 03:17:59 PM »
Dear Guest.

The next time I bump strait into a squidy (maybe outside a collage), I'll ask it

PS . Are you the script writer for the French Policeman in Hallo Hallo??
MESSYSHAW

Offline fireftrm

IPDS
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 12:10:16 PM »
It is impossible to get an NVQ without being employed in the role the NVQ covers. Therefore no one can get the L3 Ff Ops oin the Community unless they are working in a role where the evidence can be generated. There is a course - leading to a BTEC at L3 covering the knowledge and understanding of the L3 NVQ Ff Ops, but this is only that - the practical demonstration of the skills is absolutley essential and is the  way that you acheive the NVQ. YOU CANNOT DO THAT OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT - anyone claiming to have donme/be going to is either, a) lying (most likely) or b) getting a qualification which would be fraudulent - report the college/institution to the QCA - the latter would be picked up by any, bar the stupidest, IPDS practitioner.

As to an NVQ L3 in Ff Ops and then a degree - well all this would give you is a Competent Firefighter, with a degree. Nothing more! Very, very worrying if anyone thinks otherwise and also - very, very, very seriously wrong. In order to move to the post of Crew Manager, or Watch Manager, you will have to firstly be a Competent Firefighter and then go through an Assessment Development Centre (details due soon on these) then go through a development program (under supervision). During this development program you may be able to operate in the role of a Crew Manager - but at all times, until you were deemed Competent in the particular area (in this case that would be the unit WM7 - lead and support people to resolve operational incidents), you would be UNDER SUPERVISION.
As it is, presently, a requirement to be competent in the existing role, before moving into development for the next no one can enter the service and go straight to be a Crew/Watch Manager - unless they are already a Competent Ff (maybe ex-airport, retained or MOD for example - with the NVQ) have passed the relevant ADC, or are perhaps already a Competent CM or WM (same examples as above)

It is extremely disconcerting that at this late stage, with IPDS now the backbone of the development of all the personnel in EVERY fire and rescue service, that so may do not understand it and we get comments like 'my service is going to do IPDS' - we are all doing it and we have to, but it needs to be properly understood . Are so few of the practitioners  spreading the word - or maybe too many don't understand/take enough interest themselves?

PS I am an IPDS team leader
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

IPDS
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 03:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the info from the horses mouth, I would of never guest you where a team leader! I think as time goes by people will become more clued up on IPDS, all new things take a while to get used to, just like TAPS!
Cheers.  :D

IPDS
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 11:15:46 PM »
Messyshaw,

I take it that you are practising to become the Policeman's script writer in 'Allo Allo'.

IPDS
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2004, 10:33:28 PM »
MATT

with spelling like that, you would struggle to get and NVQ leval 3 in Operashuns Yuorselve.

IPDS
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 01:12:10 PM »
It's a shame the BB dosen't have a spell check but for those high fliers wanting or doing accelerated promotion,NVQ's or IPDS (Sounds like 'Dirty thoughts give willy warts to me!) speak to one of the 'Old Farts' at your station for some service delivery tuition as to how to use a dictionary.  I know its and old and ancient concept but it's a great piece of kit with hard or soft covers and full of things called WORDS and how to SPELL them.  The same 'Old Farts' can also give similar instruction as to carrying out SIMPLE calculations without the need to use a calculator.

Its no wonder that 2 Jags and his chums can turn the screws on this job. If the spelling on this board is anything to go by, the reading of what you young uns are going to get worked up you over the next short while (The White Paper) makes me glad I've got 8 pay days and counting !  :lol:

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
IPDS
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 10:08:51 PM »
Perhaps you dont need to spell for Iddly Piddly Diddly Squat.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates