Author Topic: Extinguishers mounted in cabinets- Mounting height  (Read 6064 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Extinguishers mounted in cabinets- Mounting height
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »
Heres an extract from BS5306 with regard to mounting height

7.2 Mounting
Small extinguishers with a total weight up to and including 4 kg should be mounted so as to position the
handle about 1.5 m from the floor but the carrying handle of larger, heavier extinguishers should be about
1 m from the floor. Care should be taken to ensure that a heavy extinguisher does not itself cause injuries bybeing dislodged and falling onto limbs or bodies.

Does this guidance hold good for extinguishers mounted in cabinets or does it make sense for the cabinet to be mounted a little higher? Is there any guidance anywhere?

Offline John Webb

Re: Extinguishers mounted in cabinets- Mounting height
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
As a result of manual handling courses I went on, I became convinced that the 1m recommended in BS 5036 was too low for the larger extinguishers. You can only lift them by the handle with one hand, and you are then left carrying the load all on one side of the body. When in a hurry the extinguisher can swing about and catch on things.

If mounted at a higher height, one hand can lift the base of the extinguisher with the other lifting/steadying the top. The extinguisher can then be carried across the front of the body (like a babe in one's arms) distributing the weight much more evenly and not in a position to catch on things as you pass them. There are the additional advantages that also by mounting them higher, extinguishers are more visible over desks and other furniture and less likely to be damaged by passing trollies and loads thereon.

So for extinguishers in cabinets, where presumeably they have to be lifted out of the cabinet, I'd be inclined to go for a higher mounting height.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:17:12 PM by John Webb »
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
Some arguements to your points raised John. Should one hurry carrying an extinguisher? Anything other than a walk increases the risk of tripping. Also carrying it across the body could obscure the view of where you are walking. Safe use of equipment.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
I had always believed that the reason the fire extinguisher handle needed to be mounted 1 m from the floor is that this is a bit lower than the average height of someone's hand above the floor. Thus when lifting the extinguisher off the hook it is simpler to slightly bend the knees grasp the handle and straighten up and the weight is taken by the leg muscles not the arms and spine. Also if the extinguisher is dropped it has less far to fall.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
Thanks everybody. Yes it stuck me that lifting off a large extinguisher from its braket at a height of 1m is one thing but I had to lift one out of a cabinet at that height and found myself bending over to do it. But I am 6ft. I then found an American website where they recommend 1.5m for cabinets and it got me wondering if we had anysimilar guidance on this.

Offline TFEM

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 07:53:42 PM »
Do these all singing, all dancing, plastic bodied, only last 10 years, use on anything, no service required, best thing since sliced bread extinguishers not lift themselves off the wall/out of the cabinet and proceed in an orderly manner toward the fire before automatically discharging themselves, thereby eliminating any risk to any potential have-a-go hero?
 ;)

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
What about if the cabinet is sitting directly on the floor so that you can drag the extinguisher out horizontally without taking any of the weight and then lifting it when it is clear of the cabinet?  I haven't tried it, just speculating on a solution.  It's an interesting issue but I haven't seen many extinguisher cabinets over the years so I wouldn't have guessed it was a common problem or, indeed, one with published UK guidance - though it will be interesting to see if any comes to light here.

I do have a problem with them being mounted higher up walls than recommended, generally (i.e. when not in cabinets).  I was in my kids' primary school hall one day standing at the back of the weekly assembly to which parents were invited when, lo and behold, one of the parents who was crowding in a little along from me knocked a 9 litre water extinguisher off the wall.  The extinguisher was mounted with its handle at about shoulder height (adult shoulder height - 1.5m) and it glanced off a child's shoulder before crashing to the floor.  Luckily it was a slight glance and no one was hurt but the potential for harm was immense and it was very fortunate that the potential was not realised.  Off course, the bracket was loose in the wall, as is so often the case, and it was not the parent's fault as they only brushed against it to make it fall.

Also, when mounted at this height there is the potential for things to be put beneath them and whether permanent or temporary, such items may require a person to adopt completely the wrong stance when taking such a heavy item from the wall, having to lean over the item to reach the extinguisher.

I recognise the comments in favour of the higher positioning but, for me, the best solution is to keep them low (and out of cabinets! - how are you going to wedge a fire door open with the thing if it's in cabinet?)

Stu

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:18:13 PM by Phoenix »

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »
Got to say it guys: What about the less able bodied person? How would they get to a higher mounted cabinet?

Oh dear, HSE experts are knocking on the door with files and literature. Oh Gawd.......
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...

Online AnthonyB

• Firenet Extinguisher Expert
  • Global Moderator
    • http://www.firewizard.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
No separate guidance for cabinets, no manufacturers recommendations, just use common sense and refer to BS5306-8
Anthony Buck
Owner & Fire Safety Consultant at Fire Wizard

Extinguisher/Fire History Enthusiast

Fire Extinguisher Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65...415&ref=ts
http://www.youtube.com/user/contactacb
https://uk.linkedin.com/in/anthony-buck-36