Author Topic: BA Set Info  (Read 34738 times)

bodie & doyle

BA Set Info
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:34 AM »
I think one can never know too much.
Why just over a month ago this very point was shown.

We were making sweet mince pies on station. Unfortunately our plastic pastry cutter (BS EN 7721) had failed its periodic inspection. But fear not, all was not lost. Using my immense, knowledge crammed noggin, I recalled quick as a flash the large end of our railway horn was exactly 7.2cm in diameter. The day was saved. Doyle crafted our pie lids and for weeks afterwards people could be heard saying "those lads really know their stuff !!!”
Well all except one, who pointed out I still can't fill in an Entry Control Board properly. Personally I think he was just trying to make himself feel more secure!

Roll on the assessment centres I say.

Offline Frankie

BA Set Info
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2005, 11:39:43 AM »
Will someone please enlighten me..... Why exactly do we have BS's then....?

I have actually learnt a whole load about other "more useful" things. For a start I wouldn't have found this forum.....

I think it was a cracking question to ask me..... now I know more than i did..... I think that the guys who just want to "DO" and not "LEARN" ought to watch themselves in this technological day and age.... they'll be replaced..... probably by robots who do the same thing.... over and over again, or even by paperweights....

:o)

Offline burgermuncher999

BA Set Info
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2005, 01:09:18 PM »
B & D,
I would be asking your employer why are you even carrying railway horns. Making the lids on the pies is probably the best use for them given that we as an organisation shouldn't be putting any member of a crew inside the permanent way to act as a lookout.
Or is it useless info for any Firefighter to know the reasons why we should not.

Chris Houston

BA Set Info
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2005, 12:53:29 AM »
Quote from: bodie & doyle
..........our plastic pastry cutter (BS EN 7721) had failed its periodic inspection.............

So your plastic pastry cutter complies with BS EN ISO 7721-2:1995 "Countersunk flat head screws. Penetration depth of cross recesses"

Quite amazing! :D:D:D

cowley

BA Set Info
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 02:27:27 PM »
hahahahahaha...yoooooou guys.
I bet those long winter nightshifts just fly by.

I've had a word with my 'professional' colleagues Bodie & Doyle.

Apparently they were referring to the BS (Bull Sh*t) number, something to do with not really caring about useless information. Furthermore it turns out the Railway horn in question is nowhere near 7.2cm (closer to 7.4cm really).

Lookouts!  Permanent way!  Are you mad...we use the horns for school visits to entertain the kids. Gives them something to do with their mouths in case they ask us questions like "how heavy is your fire engine"

As for robots Frankie...I think they're already among us.

Offline burgermuncher999

BA Set Info
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 10:29:08 AM »
Don't know where CI5 are coming from on this one. If they are trying to make a point they might do well to spell it out in plain English. I tried to draw them into a constructive debate on distinguishing between need to know (as in railway procedures), nice to know (as in technical specs) and no need to know (as in pastry cutters). But it seems they may lack the procedural or technical know how to enage constructively or competently.

bored now

BA Set Info
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2005, 02:55:40 PM »
Been on holiday and forgot all about this daft thread.

Constructive debate? don't kid yourself...lol

***"But it seems they may lack the procedural or technical know how to engage constructively or competently."***
I bet your a popular trainer with the troops :)

I think you've been in the training department just a tad too long. It's time you went back to being operational not decorational.

And if I know Training Subs like I know Training Subs, you'll definitely be back to have the last word!

I, however, won't be :P

Offline burgermuncher999

BA Set Info
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2005, 09:39:23 AM »
You know your training Subs but you don't know me. 13 years w/t operational and 3 yrs trainer. 5 and a half years on the run as a watch commander. Experience in 3 different Brigades in 2 different countries. Entered training to balance out the bull**** you refer to that i was bombarded with from some trainers and other personnel with little expertise who either knew all about the books but very little about reality or who cultivated a degree of dubious respect by the telling of 20 yr old tales of derring-do over the brew table. If you care to read my contributions in other areas of the forum you might get a better feel for what i am and where i am coming from. I believe my contributions in the main tend to be underpinned by a degree of skill, knowledge, understanding and experience not on sarcasm and demeaning statements designed to undermine those who seek to make constructive contributions.
I feel i am fairly well thought of by both colleagues and students a statement borne out by the ample evidence i have retained in the form of character references and most importantly the students own course evaluations. You shall probably gain some form of shallow self comfort from the fact that yes i did try and get the last word in. However to make snide insinuations in the manner that you did in my mind warrants a reply to address the balance and prove you wrong at least in my own shallow mind. Remember that an ill informed opinion is no opinion at all.

'Keep it real keep it safe for fortune favours the skilled.'

bobdabilda

BA Set Info
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2005, 05:19:14 AM »
In fact, suffocation is the third leading cause of death among smurfs. The problem is that when choking, smurfs remain blue, and thus no one can tell that they are choking and that they need the Heimlich maneuver.

Offline Paul

BA Set Info
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2005, 08:59:23 PM »
I too have fallen foul of this little known fact when I recieved a black eye from a rather pissed off Smurf who was simply taking a nap.

Easy mistake!!!!!

Offline Billy

BA Set Info
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2005, 10:12:37 PM »
The wherra****awe tribe in Africa are so named because the pampas grass surrounding their village is 5 feet high and they are only 4 1/2 feet tall so they have to jump up and shout .....................!

Offline fireftrm

BA Set Info
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2005, 07:14:18 AM »
thought the spelling ended arewe.............no doubt a typo Billy?
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline Billy

BA Set Info
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2005, 10:31:55 AM »
Fireftrm

No typo error. As you are no doubt aware us Scots travelled far and wide to try and educate the rest of the world up to our standard!

David Livingstone done missionary work in Africa and obviously the tribe picked up some of the Glaswegian lingo!

Just as well it wasn't a missionary from the North East of England or they could have been called the Wherra****arewehthelads tribe- Doesn't have the same ring to it!!!

Offline fireftrm

BA Set Info
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2005, 06:56:30 PM »
Ah but the tribe I knew was the wheretheferkarewee, so as to make a nice pronounciation!
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!