Author Topic: searching off guidelines  (Read 43892 times)

Offline ian gough

searching off guidelines
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2005, 02:30:04 PM »
Fireftrm: just for the record, Sun Valley was not a cold store.
I do, however, suspect that sandwich panels were a feature in the Bristol fire but a lot of information doesn't seem to have emerged from that tragedy (unlike in H & Worcs). No doubt this is because the HSE waded into H & Worcs but strangely not Avon.

Offline fireftrm

searching off guidelines
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2005, 03:23:39 PM »
Definitley no sandwich panels in Bristol, it was a two-storey buiulding supermarket in a row of shops, traditional construction.

Yep Sun Valley was a food prep factory, part correction agreed. However the Corbett block (where the fire occured) was a meat processinga nd cold storgae facility. The latter being the reason that insulated sandwich panels were used in its construction.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline ian gough

searching off guidelines
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 06:02:07 PM »
We're in danger of veering off of the thread; however, sandwich panels are used much more extensively than in just cold or chill stores. I therefore challenge the veracity of your last comment above.
Also: are you sure the ceiling in the supermarket was not composed of sandwich panels?

Offline fireftrm

searching off guidelines
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2005, 12:52:26 PM »
No I am not, but their use in existing standard buildings is hardly normal now and would have been less so 10 years ago. This was not a new build supermarket, it was a long standing one and the likely ceiling (being as it was in a standard shopping row like any estate area) would have been painted, or suspended ceiling tiles. Having studied it duringa JOA at Moreton the primary reasons for the tragedy were a flashover (contents/lowish ceiling height) and the confusion over location/guideline/hosereel. There were also problems due to the fire attack at the rear with attack/entry at the front at the same time meaning poor ventilation for the fire gases. this may have contributed to the flashover.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline ian gough

searching off guidelines
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2005, 02:06:59 PM »
Fireftrm: thanks for that information. However, please be advised that it is increasingly normal to have sandwich panels installed in existing 'standard' buildings. They're even making houses with them now!

Offline fireftrm

searching off guidelines
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2005, 02:52:21 PM »
I know and also that they are unlikely to be LISP and also more often than not of a fire retardant/non-combustible filling nowadays.

Offline rips

searching off guidelines
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2005, 02:56:14 PM »
Sorry Billy, shouls have added UK to the comment about PPV deaths. Know internationaly there have been problems with PPV
Any views I express are my own and not my employers. Still confused!