Author Topic: advise on how to deal with a usless sub officer  (Read 4890 times)

Offline netwolf

advise on how to deal with a usless sub officer
« on: July 20, 2005, 08:50:40 PM »
hi
  i am looking for advice and guidance if possible.
I am a retained f/f and have been for 4 years , up until last year we were an aux unit but were then made retained .since then we have carried out our medical / basic fire training / ba training / rta / responsive driving etc , all except our sub officer who remains un trained and un able to show leadership to the unit .his whole attitude is of a can't do attitude and has a very poor knowledge of the working capablities of the firefighters under him and the equipment at his disposal, the l/fs seem to cover his ass a lot but on a training night for instance , when no l/fs turn up it is up to the f/f to arrange there own training while he has a not my problem attitude.at incidents he is reluctant to take control of the situation.which as you may of noticed by my e mail is caused all of the crew to loose complete  confidence in his ability and leadership.
 Thanks for your advice in advance .
                                                 john

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 02:03:52 PM »
You should act as a group and confront this person with your concerns, plus you must take this up with your wholetime supervisory officer and make the points there. The FRS are failing in their duty of they continiue to allow a person who has not receive the correct level of training to be the OIC of your station. It is your health, safety and welfare that could be compromised. Also contact your representative body for their guidance, especially with regard to the OIC not having been trained and the H&S issues this raises. If you are not in the union I strongly recommend that you and your colleagues join, you clearly need their support.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Chris Houston

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:40:47 PM »
Guys,

I've removed several posts, after someone removed their own and made the whole thing look weird.

It does mess it up from everyone else when someone removes their posts.  There is no need to be bashful, we all make mistakes.  

Chris.