Author Topic: Shisha Bar  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Alec

Shisha Bar
« on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
Hi this is my first post so please be gentle. Has anyone carried out a risk assessment of a Shisha Bar, they are on the increase and I was wondering if any problems had been incurred when assessing one, in the unlikely event anyone does not know what one is I shall attempt to explain.

It is a kind of cafe where customers can choose between fragrant fruit-flavoured tobacco or non –nicotine herbal molasses, and smoke it in exotic water pipes known as hookah pipes.

So to smoke it a metal dish of charcoal is set alight at the top of the pipe to burn the flavoured tobacco or molasses and, as the smoker puffs on a long rubber tube, the smoke is cooled and filtered as it passes through a water reservoir inside the pipe before reaching the mouth.

I suppose what I am asking is, the outside area where smoking takes place should come under smoke free (Premises & Enforcement} regulations 2006 and whatever arrangements they have outside i.e. the shelter should be fire retardant and the 50% rule should apply, and the means of escape considered.

Alec

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
Re: Shisha Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
Hi,

Yes, I inspected one.  The shishas were smoked outside on an elevated terrace.  The means of escape from where the shishas were smoked was through the building so I treated the area as an inner room.  Of course, they present certain risks and you have to address these.  There is an obvious ignition hazard that means attention must be paid to combustible materials, especially readily ignitable ones, in the vicinity - preferrably there shouldn't be any.  It might be a good idea to finish the smoking and clear it all away about an hour before the premises are vacated, a bit like a hot work permit system, but this might not be practical.

Stu

Offline Alec

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
Thanks Stu,
I have been asked to quote so we shall see what happens.
I have a friend who is a FSO who has said tread carefully because they are on the fire safety inspection hit list?

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »
That's nothing to be scared of, Alec.  Just be thorough.

Offline Alec

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:51 PM »
Thanks Phoenix,  I will be.

Offline jokar

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
Just be careful they make the charcoal on site as well, cupboards in basements are a favourite.

Offline Tadees

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
Drapes and fire spread.  Also exposed foam from sofas where cigarettes have been put out.  They also use patio heaters in these places.  Loud music too, so fire alarm may not be heard.
Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a brighter day.