Author Topic: Manual Dumb Waiter  (Read 4468 times)

Offline 0923

Manual Dumb Waiter
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »

Hello

I require some help and guidance on fire safety for a 1940's original manual dumb waiter rope pull system in a restaurant, I'm looking at they should have s/c fire doors at each level, should the shaft be lined with fire resistant construction also fire protection for the ropes.

Your advice would be welcome or putting me in the right direction.

Thanks

Regards

Offline nearlythere

Re: Manual Dumb Waiter
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »

Hello

I require some help and guidance on fire safety for a 1940's original manual dumb waiter rope pull system in a restaurant, I'm looking at they should have s/c fire doors at each level, should the shaft be lined with fire resistant construction also fire protection for the ropes.

Your advice would be welcome or putting me in the right direction.

Thanks

Regards
I take it the dumb waiter is in and links the kitchen and the dining area at another level? SC doors would be very inconvenient I would have thought.
What is the extent of the building? Number of storeys? Other occupancies?
You might, if necessary, consider a FR roller shutter on an automatic closing system linked to the fire alarm system so as to isolate the kitchen.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline 0923

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:27:41 PM »

The restuarant is situated on the ground floor of a mid victorian mansion block with 3 floors over (private residential tenants), basement kitchen serving the restaurant on the ground floor.

Regards

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
As a general rule there should be fire separation between basement and ground floor though it is not possible to be definitive without seeing the building and its layout. Such separation would normally be made at the bottom and top of the dumb waiter but again may not be practicable. Separation at the bottom level would be most effective.

Particular care and attention should be paid to the standard of fire separation between the commercial premises on the ground floor and the residential premises on the upper floors. Ideally there should be at least one hour standard of fire separation and means of escape from the residential accommodation should be independent of that from the restaurant if at all possible.