Author Topic: Ipad Risk Assessment Application  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Mar62

Ipad Risk Assessment Application
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:54:35 AM »
Dear all

Has anyone ventured into using any form of Ipad application to carry out FRA's. Have found one that on the surface appears quite good but wondered whether anyone has used it or something similar?

http://www.flashcompliance.com/support/docs/flashform/userguide
Each and every day is a learning curve and today is one of those days?

Offline Golden

Re: Ipad Risk Assessment Application
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:43 AM »
Hi Martin, I haven't used such a system but it looks quite reasonable. Any idea if it can be tailored to suit your own templates or about the cost?

However I do tend to like the clipboard and my own notes to refer to later.

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »
This looks fine if you have your FRA forms already in a computerised format, not just the form in Microsoft Word or something similar. The problem is to get your form into an interactive format, which tends to look at standard paragraphs etc. The other problem with the Ipad tends to be that it did not include handwriting recognition so you would have to type everything in.

In generalit looks to me that if you already have a system where you take a tablet on site and fill it in on the go, it will convert it for use on the Ipad. If not you will have a lot of work to get it up and running.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Mar62

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Only just found out about it so havent looked into myself in any great detail but am interested in order to streamline things a little.

Up till now I have prefered my own paper templates / clipboard that I use.

Apparently you can use their templates or have them customise them to suit your needs.

Am going to investigate further and will let you know what the outcome is.........

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:21:56 AM »
One company down in the South has worked such a system up and sells it on a franchise basis, including plan drawing tools. I have seen it working and it looks pretty impressive, but of course expensive and means you have to adapt your approach to work its way.

Thats the problem for me indeed my wife has been trying to organise me for 35 years without success so a machine has no chance.

But if you pm me I will be happy to give you their contact details.

Offline Mar62

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
Thanks Kurnal PM sent.

Someone tried organising me for many years. Divorced six years ago  :)

Offline William 29

• http://www.tfsltd.net
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
I know of the company and have had a look at it, it is very good but very expensive to buy.  At the time they were using it for most types of building and you can even e mail the FRA to the client or data base from site.  Personally I think its a good tool for simple buildings on a large contract, say large numbers of flats that are similar in layout and design but I wouldn't use it for all premises types.

Offline The Colonel

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:11:38 PM »
Would be interested to know what sort of costs are involved. I currently use an iPad to record my notes on during assessments, at least I can read them at a later point which with my hand writing could give me problems with a paper and pen method. Easy to sync with a computer and easy to store site notes for future reference.

Offline Will Lloyd

• FIA
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »
i have seen an app called iauditor
i believe you can make your own templates. i looked at it for my assessors but i don't want to buy them all ipads plus pen and paper never runs out of battery
Technical Manager
Fire Industry Association (FIA)

All comments and views are mine own and may not reflect the views of the FIA

Offline Mar62

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 08:25:35 AM »
Thanks for all your replies guys. Looking into options. Might stick with pen and paper!

Offline The Colonel

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »
I have had a look at the IAuditor app and it appears to be quite good, there are a number of templates that look very useful including a Risk assessment tool that will produce a report based on PAS 79 including photos etc. There is a site template for gathering information which I have used today on a couple of small assessments and even a fire door inspection template. All the templates can be edited to suit yourself or you can easily make up your own.

For anyone that is using an iPad and PAS 79 its worth a look, the app is free but you do have to purchase to export in word format (5.99) normal export is via pdf and free. If you use Dropbox it easily uploads into it.

Going to try it a bit more to see how we go.

Offline Mar62

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »
Thanks Colonel I'll look into that one as well.  :)