Author Topic: Intumescent paint upgrade fire-resistance?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline vonnieamy

• It's all subjective!
Intumescent paint upgrade fire-resistance?
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
Hi  :)

Well here's my first query....... ???

Need some advice please as currently I have conflicting information.

With regard to intumescent paint added to a 30 minute fire door - would that increase the fire-resistance to 60 minutes? 

Vonnieamy

Offline nearlythere

Re: Intumescent paint upgrade fire-resistance?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:21 PM »
Hi  :)

Well here's my first query....... ???

Need some advice please as currently I have conflicting information.

With regard to intumescent paint added to a 30 minute fire door - would that increase the fire-resistance to 60 minutes?  

Vonnieamy

The only way you would be sure Vonnie is to look at the specification. There will be technical information available for the product which will guide you. I have never come across a product which could upgrade a door from 30min to 60min by the application of an intumescent paint or varnish, but I can't say it doesn't exist. You might have to check this with the suppliers or maunfacturers of such products.
There might be something here to get you started - http://www.firedoorkits.co.uk/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:25:55 PM by nearlythere »
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline vonnieamy

• It's all subjective!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 01:10:24 PM »
Thanks for that info.  I dont want to be giving the wrong advice or telling my client that they dont know what they are talking about - well at least not until I know!!!   :D

V

Offline lancsfirepro

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:17:26 PM »
Interesting idea, applying to an existing fire door.  Ask to speak to Carl at Envirograf about product 103 and he should be able to help you.  You may need to increase the size of the intumescent strip though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 01:20:47 PM by lancsfirepro »

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 07:15:21 PM »
Absolutely no chance of upgrading a 30 min to a 60 min door unless the manufacturer of the upgrade product has subjected an identical doorset to yours to a BS476-22 test and can give you a certificate to prove it. Then you must follow the specification and application to the letter.
But it isnt going to happen and an over optimistic sales pitch will just expose your client to risk.

Remember the door set and not just the leaf itself must be considered.

Offline Fishy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »
I have never seen any convincing evidence that you can reliably upgrade any sort of timber doorset so that it would give 60 mins fire resistance.  If that's absolutely what you want, then it'll need to be a new installation. 

If the doorset in question has any particular heritage value then I've sometimes known the F/R requirements to be 'relaxed' upon consultation with the relevant authorities, but if the only reason that this is being considered is to do things on the cheap, then I'd forget it & just get a new, fully certified doorset installed.  They aren't expensive.

Kelsall

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:33 PM »
Get test evidence from an independent lab to back up any claims made by suppliers. Full test reports from an accredited lab and read the test description carefully.

If you do get a test report for a product that upgrades a 30 minute door to a 60; frame it, as it will be the rarest document in the world.

Offline vonnieamy

• It's all subjective!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
Thanks All so much for your input.  Pretty well confirms my thoughts on the topic.
Very useful to get this feedback.

;D