Author Topic: Plastic Heating Pipes in common areas.  (Read 11774 times)

Offline Golden

Re: Plastic Heating Pipes in common areas.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »
Hi Goodsparks - a colleague of mine took some home to carry out the 'test' and there was no mention of plastic coating; if this was the case then the situation would be worse as the water in the pipe wouldn't figure significantly in reducing its combustibility.

Here's a pic of the range pipes for a bit more detail.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:02:11 AM by Golden »

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:39:36 AM »
if this was the case then the situation would be worse as the water in the pipe wouldn't figure significantly in reducing its combustibility

Yes it would as the heat in the plastic coating would be conducted through the metal into the water and the latent heat capacity effect would still apply. Granted there may be some scorching of the plastic as there is a delay in transferring the heat into the metal, like the sooting on the balloon in the U tube clip I posted.

Fill the pipe with water and apply a blowtorch. I would be very interested in the result.
Sam

Offline Fishy

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 01:18:38 PM »
If you’re in England & Wales, look at Section 10 of the Approved Document B.

The water filling is irrelevant, for many reasons, not least because a) you can’t guarantee that the pipes will always be filled & b) as soon as they melt the system will drain.

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:17 PM »
as soon as they melt the system will drain.

They won't melt it there is water in them. So they can't drain. Obviously if they are not filled with water then they will pyrolyse, scorch, char, melt or ignite; depending on what they are made from.

Can't comment on ADB.
Sam

Offline Fishy

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »
as soon as they melt the system will drain.

They won't melt it there is water in them. So they can't drain. Obviously if they are not filled with water then they will pyrolyse, scorch, char, melt or ignite; depending on what they are made from.

Can't comment on ADB.

I'm not sure that I agree that they wouldn't melt.  The 'paper saucepan' works because the paper is thin so the heat is rapidly absorbed by the water.  The polymer is likely to be a good insulator & so if subjected to direct flame it'll get above its glass transition temperature (80-odd degrees C if it's unplasticised PVC) on its exposed face.  I really can't see a conventional polymer pipe keeping its integrity if directly exposed to a significant fire, no matter whether it's filled with water or not. 

Having said this, I do know that sprinkler systems can utilise polymeric pipework (e.g. CPVC & Polybutylene), but I think that this is normally done either on the basis of the pipework being protected from direct flame impingement, or being protected by the activation of the sprinklers themselves (not really my area of expertise)?

Offline SamFIRT

• Looking for the truth
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »
It would be an interesting test.

Perhaps someone should do it.
Sam

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
Having said this, I do know that sprinkler systems can utilise polymeric pipework (e.g. CPVC & Polybutylene), but I think that this is normally done either on the basis of the pipework being protected from direct flame impingement, or being protected by the activation of the sprinklers themselves (not really my area of expertise)?

Either that or fire melts sprinkler pipe that then bursts dumping water onto fire.
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Golden

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
BS1285 recommends that steel or copper are used and that for dry, alternate or pre-action installations, galvanized steel should preferably be used, 9251 recommends that "Plastics and other pipes and fittings should be in accordance with a standard as recognized by the authority having jurisdiction and suitable for residential and domestic sprinkler systems and should be installed in accordance with the supplier’s instructions." but makes on mention apart from giving dimension guides on CPVC.

CPVC is a thermoplastic material that chars and will not support combustion, it is rated as self extinguishing. They are approved for wet systems only which will allow the water flow to carry away the heat once a sprinkler has actuated. There is no mention of static water in this note http://www.ribaproductselector.com/Docs/8/23138/external/COL68349.pdf

I think I'll get the full specification for the pipe and fire this one off to the passive fire protection guys to see what they say.

Offline Psuedonym

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »
Plus CPVC is a damn sight cheaper, lighter, easier and quicker to install...
Ansul R102 Kitchen Suppression Enthusiast

Created using refurbished electrons to ensure I do my bit to save the planet...Polar bear cubs saved so far:2.75. Reduced due to effects of Carbon Footprint on the carpet. It's a bugger to shift...