FIRE SERVICE AND GENERAL FIRE SAFETY TOPICS > General Interest

Aid trip to Moldova

(1/5) > >>

GB:
I am an ex SO with a local FA and for the past 4 years have been heading a project which donates fire engines and ambulances to Eastern European countrties. (http://www.justgiving.com/fire-engines)

We are planning to donate 4 fire engines and 2 ambulances to Moldova, leaving Edinburgh on 28th April 2011. Due to the current economic climate, fund raising is extremely difficult as you can imagine and we are trying to obtain as much surplus equipment as possible through donation rather than purchasing (with money we don't have!).

I know its a big ask at this time but we are desperate for the following equipment:
Lukas cutters & spreaders
13.5 & 10.5m Ladders
Fireground Comms sets (we can pay to have these recalibrated)
DSU's or DSX's
5X Foam making branches and pick up tubes
1 fire engine & 1 paramedic style ambulance (we do have some funds to purchase suitable vehicles but are restricted to 2.5K each)
Full oxygen cylinders
Trauma Kit
Hard suction hose

Any thing else you can assist with would be appreciated.

to the adminstrator - apologies if I have broken any rules and fully understand if this post is removed.

kurnal:
No rules broken and we all wish you good luck once again with your good works.

Chris Houston:
I'm currently working in Nigeria.  I've seen quite a few old German pumps sitting on bricks around.  I would guess they were also donated.

Will you donate things that they can actually service and have the parts for?

GB:
Hi Chris

You make an excellent point. We have so far donated 11 fire engines and 3 ambulances with another 4 & 2 hopefully heading out soon. We know where each one is, we source any parts that they have difficulty in obtaining, FOC incl shipping, and we send a group of mechanics after 1 year, then every 2nd year thereafter to ensure that they are being maintained correctly in order to extend the useful life of what we donate.

We do not donate things that there are no spare parts for, we do not donate items of equipment that I would not be happy using myself.

We service vehicles before they go, even changing timing belts in the ambulances if mileage is high.

I do take your point though, we have seen a similar scene where folk donate items that are unfit for use by anyone and are no better than scrap very quickly.

If you know of any equipment - we would gladly put it to good use - this is a difficult year in terms of obtaining vehicles and equipment - please if anyone can assist ::)

Chris Houston:
Sorry, I have no connections in the fire service.  But having read your comments above, I'd say very well done for actually doing something that works.  Too many people with good intentions don't make much of a difference.  It seems you have actually thought things through and are doing something helpful and sustainable.

Good work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version