Author Topic: Ballistic Parachutes  (Read 12342 times)

Ballistic Parachutes
« on: November 28, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »
Hi

I am in the process of a college project on the Ballistic Parachute and wondered if anyone in the UK has had first

hand experience of these things of if there are any training packages out there about these things.

ANY information would be gratefully received and if you have never heard of these i have posted a link

Hope it works

Thanks in advance

http://www.brsparachutes.com/default.aspx

messy

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 10:43:26 AM »
Never heard of this system, but it seems a useful bit of kit (unles you are in a helicopter).

The risk to fire crews seems to be virtually identical to those faced when dealing with an incident involving undeployed ejector seat(s). Therefore, you may find some useful resources if you search the web for 'ejector seat safety' or contact Martin Baker Engineering of Denham Bucks, who make a large proportion of such seats

Good luck

Offline stevfire2

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 09:08:52 PM »
when the first cirrus aircraft became based with us, the owners loaned us a dvd produced by cirrus specifically for the rescue services.as stated, it needs to be treated with respect, particularly as the firing cable runs from the cabin roof, down the port side pillar, to the rocket. this is where you would possibly consider cutting, but the cable requires only 1/2"delection to fire! on n-reg aircraft i have never seen the location marked externally as hazardous. from the outside you,(or the local authority)wouldnt know it was there.
 cirrus basically  recommended they be contacted immediately and provide a 24 hr cotact number in the event of encountering a non deployed bprs.
suggest you contact cirrus direct, or a local airfield. i will see if i can trace that dvd though.

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 10:41:25 AM »
Thanks MESSY and STEVFIRE2 for your responses

I will follow them up

Cheers

Offline DaveM

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 03:08:50 AM »
Hi all

here is some basic info on what to do with an Aircraft incident involved with Ballistic Parachute Recovery Systems (BRS) installed!!

What is a BRS ?

A BRS is a rocket deployable emergency parachute system installed inside or on the fuselage of a light aircraft which is designed to be operated by the pilot in the event of an engine failure or loss of control.

There has been a proliferation of ballistic parachute devices in general aviation aircraft, RFFS who respond to aircraft accidents are increasingly likely to encounter unfired ballistic parachute systems that could discharge during rescue and recover operations.
Typically these devices are stored in a compartment in the aft fuselage to deploy a 55-pound parachute that allows the airplane to descend in a level attitude at about 26 feet per second. To activate the system, a pilot pulls an overhead handle in the cockpit (after removing a metal pin that secures the handle in a stowed position).

The aluminum rocket, which weighs 1 pound 6 ounces, contains 1 pound of propellant, fires for 1.2 seconds, and accelerates to over 100 miles per hour in the first tenth of a second. It produces peak thrust of about 300 pounds. Under normal conditions, the system is well secured and is not prone to accidental firing. The rocket will only fire if the activation handle in the cockpit is pulled with sufficient force. However, the system can be less predictable if an airplane has been in an accident.
Should the sections of an airplane be broken apart, the activating housing (a shaft that houses the cable that links the firing handle to the parachute) may become stretched tight. If the parts separate enough, the unit could be detonated even with the blast handle still secured by its safety pin.

Using rescue tools to extricate airplane occupants could also cause the rocket to fire. The activation cable (between the handle in the cockpit and a firing mechanism that ignites the rocket) need only be pulled forward slightly (aircraft dependant), with a force of about 35 pounds to activate the rocket. By comparison, hydraulic rescue tools are capable of applying as much as 18,000 pounds of force per square inch to cut or spread aircraft structures. In addition, crimping or snagging the activation cable could move it far enough forward to activate the rocket.

The RFFS will require training (familiarisation sessions) regarding disabling ballistic parachute units. The RFFS training should include identification and location of the activation handle, the rocket motor, and the housing protecting the cable that stretches from the handle to the rocket activation tube, noting that these components may have shifted during the accident sequence and may not be in their original locations. The RFFS should cut the activation cable where it attaches to the launch tube, while avoiding the departure end of the rocket, to prevent the rocket’s firing mechanism from being activated.

RFFS who move or cut airplane wreckage without determining the existence of a ballistic parachute system or who disregard the positioning of the rocket motor as they work with the wreckage risk death or serious injury. It is vital for the RFFS safety, that they be able to quickly identify aircraft with these systems installed and take action to ensure that the systems are not accidentally deployed. Training that specifically addresses the hazards of ballistic parachute systems, as well as effective warning labels and markings, would greatly aid the RFFS  in the safe completion of any emergency situation.

In the event of a fire situation the rocket will not normally be activated but will burn without an explosive reaction.

Deactivation Sequence:-

1.   Determine if a BRS is fitted. ( look for placard on fuselage, or parachute container )
2.   Examine launch tube. Has the rocket fired?

If the rocket is live under no circumstances should rescue personnel place any part of their person in front of the launch tube. A 90 degree 30m area should be cleared in front of the rocket motor.  

3.   Insert a 3/16 inch pin into the handle holder located in the cockpit.
4.   Locate rocket motor and parachute box (panels may have to be removed on some aircraft types)
5.   Using Felco brand cutter cut cable near the igniter. Do Not Twist Cable.
6.   Due to this item being a pyrotechnic hazard no attempt should be made to remove the rocket motor. Considerations should be made to isolate the aircraft by way of cordon prior to seeking advice from manufacturer

I hope this helps with your project

Keep living the Dream

Dave M

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:15:19 PM »
Thanks very much DaveM some good info there

Offline Chunty

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »
I have many fingers in RFFS pies, one being with an RFFS unit operating at the UK based final assembly/distributor for the Cirrus range of aircraft. When the type first arrived on the patch I tasked one of guys to do some research on it to identify any new hazards, not realistically expecting anything out of the ordinary to emerge.

Then he came back to me somewhat excited and quoting abbreviations such as BRS and AAIR. Wow, this changed things a bit! Through direct contact with Mike Busch of the Cirrus Corp., we now have a fairly informed perspective of both devices and the potential hazard for rescuers if undeployed at a crash site. Mike visited the UK in 2006 and spoke on the subject at the Fire Service Managers seminar. I was one of the fortunate three who crossed to IFTC's fireground to see him demonstrate how he dismantles and makes safe a BRS in the field, which effectively means activating each component under control and in turn - with the parachute itself detached. It made interesting viewing to say the least.

Boy does that Thermite burn! The propellant itself is just one of five firing components that make up the BRS, and it's not just a case of avoiding the predicted path of the rocket and its load, there's also the issue of the four-corner parachute straps that emerge from beneath weakened areas of composite skin at the same rate as the speed of the rocket. You could be on a wing applying care to a casualty assuming that even if the rocket fires, you are safe, only to receive a rap across the shins that would make a tackle from Vinny Jones feel more like a tickle. I can't imagine the damage it might actually do to you, there is no evidence or theory made public to indicate the dynamics of the forces involved as yet; but it would be safe to imagine that the effect would be severe.

I have a copy of the latest Cirrus DVD guidance for emergency responders and I was really hoping that it would be a more indepth account than the first, but it's not and owes more to the marketing and publicity department than safety management.

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 08:05:23 AM »
Chunty

Thanks for your info

I have contacted a "Local" dealer for these systems but have not received a reply yet

FFF

Offline Speedy

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
Fred, if you still need the information let me know your email address and I'll forward a lecture that is being used as a national training aid for some airfields.

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:49 AM »
Hi there Speedy

I have received a cd PowerPoint Presentation from IFTC which is very informative and also I have received some good info from "Robin Hood Airport"

I have a feeling that the info you have may be similar but any info is gratefully received

Thanks

fff

you should be able to email me direct by clicking email on the left hand side

Ballistic Parachutes
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »
i have now had chance to collate information and have started to deliver it to local aurthorities

the feedback i have been receiving is all positive and calls of why have we not been told of these before?

i even used the presentation as one of my observations for college and the tutor was open mouthed when

he heard it

just hope it helps my marks!!!!