Author Topic: Some Daft Questions...  (Read 6588 times)

Midland Retty

Some Daft Questions...
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:25:05 PM »
Might seem a bit random to ask, but just to satisfy my curiosity and understand more about our colleagues in the airport fire service I have the following posers (some of this will be used to for a presentation for some of my colleagues in our local authority brigade):-

In the Airport fire service I understand that the most senior ranking fire officer at the airport is called the SAFO. In the past all SAFOs I've ever met wore a laurel wreath and impellar on their rank markings (which is equivalent to a Divisional Officer in the LA Brigade).

Is this still the case that the SAFO wears those markings?

The next question is why isn't the SAFO referred to as the Cheif Fire Officer?- is there normally anyone higher ranking than a SAFO on site?

I know of one SAFO who wears a laurel wreath and one impellar and calls himself the Cheif Fire Officer. Seeing as the Airport fire service follows the same rank system as the LA Brigades (or did before ranks to rolls came in) why does he not wear Cheif Fire Officer rank markings (laurel wreath large impellar and two small impellars?)

Is there normally a Cheif Fire Officer for large AFS organisations such as SERCO or CITY HOPPER AIRPORTS FIRE SERVICE?

Does the "CAA Fire Service" still exist or was it just a generic term to refer to UK Airport Fire Services? If it did / does exist does it have a Cheif Fire Officer?

Sounds odd to ask I know but its some background stuff I want for our LA fire crews to help them understand the structure of the Airport Fire Service better.

Offline Fireguy1230

Some Daft Questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 07:33:00 AM »
Hi

From a BAA point of view, our SAFO is now termed 'Airport Fire Manager' or AFM. This occurred when all our subby's and stn o's became Watch Managers and Station Managers. They still wear the DO rank markings however.

Again from a BAA point of view, we have a chief fire officer who is based in Heathrow. So if you imagine all the different BAA locations having their own fire station, like each town has their own local authority fire station, and all those stations are headed up by a management team based in London (like a local authority HQ)

Obviously i only have experience of BAA, and you will probably throw up a wide range of responses on this topic, as the AFS can be a funny beast at times!

Midland Retty

Some Daft Questions...
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:26:52 AM »
Quote from: Fireguy1230
Hi

From a BAA point of view, our SAFO is now termed 'Airport Fire Manager' or AFM. This occurred when all our subby's and stn o's became Watch Managers and Station Managers. They still wear the DO rank markings however.

Again from a BAA point of view, we have a chief fire officer who is based in Heathrow. So if you imagine all the different BAA locations having their own fire station, like each town has their own local authority fire station, and all those stations are headed up by a management team based in London (like a local authority HQ)

Obviously i only have experience of BAA, and you will probably throw up a wide range of responses on this topic, as the AFS can be a funny beast at times!
Cheers for that Fireguy much appreciated

Offline lee cuthbertson

Some Daft Questions...
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »
Hi  does anyone have any information on Glasgow Airport recruiting again.  thanks

Offline fireftrm

Some Daft Questions...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »
Most ARFFS I have come across now give the title Fire Service Manager. SAFO came form CAA, the rank marking is up tot he individual airport, soem I know call the role Station Manager, so that is 3 Impellers, I also know of Watch managers wearing the same.

Most ARFFS seem to have adopted a similar structure with CM, WM and SM, but then again most also have CCs (crew commanders) too. As for markings well, as above, these may follow the LAFRS, or be their own system. The only way to help your crew to understand is a visit to your ARFFS.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Midland Retty

Some Daft Questions...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »
Thanks for all your help and replies.

Another question I have is that I hear alot about The Civil Aviation Authority Fire Service - does this exist? or is it just a generic umbrella term for the Uk Airport Fire Rescue Services?