Author Topic: Exercise Windmill  (Read 13878 times)

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« on: April 17, 2008, 09:25:22 PM »
On the Isle of Wight on Saturday 26th April we will be implementing a multi-agency exercise titled 'Ex Windmill' at Bembridge Airport. So what you may say?

As Fearless has been eagerly researching BRS in another thread I thought the outcomes of this planned exercise may be of interest and I will update this after the event.

The point being that about eighteen months ago I briefed some senior managers from both the IOW Fire & Rescue Service and Hants Police concerning the development of BRS (which we are very familiar with due to them being standard equipment in the range of Cirrus aircraft being distributed around Europe from Bembridge), more recently I also gave a lecture to the lads at Ryde Fire Station (where I still serve as RDS in spare time) on the same subject. To my surprise none of this resulted in a brigade Ops Flash or any other promulgation of information.

The exercise scenario involves two aircraft, one MoD operated (hence the attendance of an RAF Post-Crash Management Incident Officer) and a Cirrus SR22. The SR22 wreck shall contain a live casualty requiring extrication and this is where it will be especially interesting to see what develops. The RFFS will be first on scene and should identify BRS immediately, but the local authority will show up soon after and naturally assume control as per the Act, my greatest interest being how much they know about BRS and how much they rely on (or even think to ask for) information from the RFFS IC. For clarification the simulated SR22 fuselage may be sliced up for the purpose of the exercise and the BRS is inert (although I would love to be able to rig up a sensitive party popper just for effect!).

Watch this space!

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:14:06 AM »
Hi Chunty

Let me know how it goes

I have had the same problem where I am

The information is there but they do not want to know about it

Very interesting

Fearless FF

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:47:42 PM »
Exercise completed... well almost.

The RFFS did a top job in the seven minutes it took the first local authority to arrive. RFFS I/C carried out a spot on job sectoring and delegating to sector commanders and within the crews fire protection was provided and maintained and the casualty actors later reported that the lads did a sterling job of the primary surveys and emergency first aid.

Then the local authority IC took over following a hand-over from the RFFS IC. It was noted that the brigade officer (oops manager) didn't seem to grasp the point of BRS or indeed the implication of the maximum exposure limit of the radar fire control device that was still active in the MoD aircraft. Twenty minutes later all safety cordons were in place, paramedics and police in attendance but the local authority professed to have provided fire protection but timed photographic evidence shows that all their branch operators were stood clutching FB5X branches attached to flat hose, charging these hoses took direct intervention by the RFFS 2I/C.

From there the lads gave the paramedics a handover regarding casualty status and this is where it all went pear shaped. It seemed that the medics really weren't up for the game and the casualty within the Cirrus SR-22 (who's status included inability to move or feel anything from the waist down) was told by a paramedic to get up and out of the aircraft. This pretty much under-mined some of the key objectives of the exercise; to identify the need for a procedural extrication of the casualty, the implication being the need to make safe the BRS and then begin space creation by dismantling the airframe using powered rescue tools in order to get the casualty on to a long board for a controlled removal. In the words of the RFFS 2I/C "it seemed that the medics were more concerned about getting their shoes muddy than doing a proper job".

Then one of the two casualties in the rear of the MoD aircraft who was 'unconscious' was likewise advised by another medic to stand up and get out.

What a farce, an undermining influence that contributed to wasting a major proportion of the investment in the event and the opportunity for the local authority fire crews, the RFFS and Bronze/Silver commanders to gain an understanding of BRS and its implication. It also cut the exercise duration by an estimated 40-50 minutes.

The attitude of the paramedics was perhaps manifest in the remark by their bronze commander while I drifted around the attendees at the end of the event thanking them for their time, she remarked "yeah well nobody likes doing this sort of thing but thanks anyway". If that's the attitude being conveyed by their commanders it's no wonder they've little interest.

The RFFS couldn't help but giggle at the vision of paramedics furiously cleaning their shoes with wet wipes before they left.

So perhaps if you ever need a paramedic on the Isle of Wight you can rest assured that they may not do much for your condition, unless that is you have a predeliction for shiny shoes. On the other hand having the ability to make a man with no feeling below the waist and another unconscious to get up and walk away from a major trauma in a matter of minutes is perhaps evidence of miracles more normally associated with a higher being...

I don't think so, in reality their apathy robbed everyone else present of a massive learning opportunity. In the manner of the great Al Murray "Isle of Wight Ambulance Service .. shame on you!"

All other agencies contributed fully although as always there are 'communications' issues and in particular the lack of a central focal point for the Silver commanders despite the brigade's Command Unit being set up for this purpose. As far as the RFFS were concerned, and I am biased but being as objective as possible; they fulfilled their obligations and carried out their tasks with a high level of competence and proportionate urgency.

I guess the highlight of misunderstandings has to have been the comment by the police silver commander at an ad-hoc command briefing when he took the radar device from the MoD aircraft and the ballistic device from the SR-22 and informed everyone that they had to retreat to a distance of 300 metres because of the presence of a 'nuclear ballistic device' on board one of the aircraft. Chinese whispers??? Thank goodness the post-crash management officer from the RAF was there to step in or the entire shooting match could have resulted in a chaotic shunting of vehicles and persons.

Just goes to show how bad communications, or possibly bad interpretation, can throw plans askew.

My biggest lesson in setting up a major incident scenario? Never ever expect anything to go as planned. Thank God it's all over!

Offline ruffles1

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
Chunty, unfortunately its not all over, surely you have to have a debrief and an action plan produced to highlight the mistakes and how you are going to overcome them. I know what you mean about paramedics, i recently held an exercise and they refused to carry stretchers and told a casualty with "spinal injuries" to walk from the a/c to the triage tent.

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
Yes you're absolutely right, there shall be a debrief involving the airport and reps from external services on May 8th.

Interesting that you experienced a near identical situation with the paramedics in your exercise, makes me wonder if the guidance they receive from abobe restricts them from engaging in strenous activity for training purposes?

Offline yellowjacket

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
Being the devils advocate here, it might be that paramedics will look at an exercise of this sort differently to members of some other services.
The nature of their work means that they treat casualties at RTCs and the like on a very regular basis, therefore the activities assigned to them in an exercise of this sort are not going to be terribly unlike any other day at the office - where they're dealing with similar casualties for real. This makes it difficult to get into the "willing suspension of disbelief" spirit of an exercise.

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:53:21 PM »
A very considered response yellowjacket, my beef with the service in respect of that option is that during the planning phase which ran over many months, representatives from police, fire and ambulance met with me at the airport on several occasions as we developed and agreed the plan and at no stage did the ambulance training manager mention anything that indicated a reluctance on their part to fully engage in the spirit of the scenario.

With respect to all agencies in attendance I am sure that many of the elements in the exercise had a any other day at the office aspect, but all others responded positively. To be honest, their may be some mitigating factors but my opinion is based in my belief that had my firefighters displayed such a lack of interest I would tear them a strip off, but they didn't.

It's a shame because it really did result in a key element of the event being wasted time, wasted at the planning stage and wasted on the day.

Since my last post on this thread we have invited the two nearest LAFB stations, two volunteer paramedics from St John's and of course the airport RFFS to re-engage this element of the exercise on another date. Ironically the two medics are full-time professionals that support SJA in their spare time, one was observer at the exercise and shares my attitude.

I simply don't think there's a sufficient excuse for scuppering an event in the manner they did.

Offline ruffles1

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 08:33:49 AM »
yellowjacket, another day at the office!!!!!! whilst the Isle of Wight scenario may have similarties to an RTC considering the size of aircraft, as i previously stated they wouldnt even carry stretchers at an exercise i planned and that had 120 casualties, i wouldnt think having to deal with 120 casualties in one go was a day at the office and it was no way in comparision to an RTC, this problem appears to be getting larger across the board

Offline AirOpsMan

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 06:38:13 AM »
Thankfully I'm not involved in planning and monitoring airport emergency exercises very frequently. During these events, there is always a tendency for inter-agency misunderstandings as to what the expected the depth of thier asset commitment should be & can be on the day.

From the airport operators side, the exercise should always be a practical test of their RFFS assets, but understanably the level of reality is not usually allowed to impact on airport operation to any real extent. This does not show a lack of commitment, just a practical plan.

All the responding emergency services will also have similar constraints to the airport. Since I know nothing about the planning of this or any other exercise mentioned, there is no way I can comment on whether the participants were fully committed within their practical constraints. I do however think that a practical focus on uniform cleanliness and therfore hopefully medical kit and ambulance cleanliness as well, is commendable in a health proffesional.

Offline ruffles1

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:54:44 AM »
The exercise is NOT a test of the RFFS assests, its a test of the airports emergency plan as a whole which includes the response from external agencies, what is expected from all participating agencies should be made clear in the planning stage and in most occassions it is, why should it be commendable for an ambulance crew to turn up in a smart uniform with clean ambulance and euipment should that not be standard practice.

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 09:11:55 PM »
A note on 'cleanliness'; all agencies turned up fit for purpose and well turned out, at the end the RFFS, LAFB and police and their equipment were generally rather mucky (yes even some of the plod!) but the meds were pristine.

Post-debrief the RFFS, LAFB and police cleaned their gear and their personal kit. Now there's something kind of old fashioned and logical in all that and I find it hard to imagine that a bit of dirt on a long board would have taken as long to clean as the miles of layflat hose used by the various fire services.

And that's all I'm going to say about that (yes I know its a Forest Gump quote but I like it).

Offline AirOpsMan

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 11:56:36 AM »
I should have been more politically correct in my first post. The whole airport emergency plan dealing with the type of scenario described may have been under exercise or it could have been a partial exercise of an airports emergency plan. Since there is no mention of anyone except emergency services to date, that latter would appear to be more liekly.

Many elements of an emergency exercise will be routinely be carried out in reality by the participants. Where an element of an emergency plan is routinely delivered in reality, my own feeling (which is perhaps shared by others) is that an exercise provides an opportunity to confirm that this element can still be delivered effectively in the circumstances of the exercise scenario. Other elements of the exercise will (hopefully) never or very seldom be delivered in reality. It is my feeling (again perhaps shared by others) that these are the elements that are being tested.

Expectation should not preclude commendation.

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 01:02:20 PM »
AirOpsMan that certainly was a politically correct post, and I won't elaborate here what I personally feel about PC lest that should 'offend' anyone so in that respect I am one of the oppressed, a condition I feel offended about but apparently that particular offence is acceptable, so I feel even more oppressed.

Professionally I take a far less corporate and more pragmatic view which probably owes more to my time in the armed forces than the civil, regardless of which discipline it is my belief that when you turn up for a training/exercise event you do so with the attitude of practising the skills you may need for real someday, but there as I confess that probably owes more to chucking grenades about because once the pins out there isn't much time to decide whether or not you can be bothered to throw it. That's what I expect from my guys and which I completely accept is at odds with some of the nonsense being conveyed through our organisations and society in general today.

Offline stuart f

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 06:56:59 PM »
Chunty,
 I will be carrying out an emergency exercise on the 14th May, for the Local Authority Fire and Rescue Services, the O/I/C of one of the stations just said light up your simulator a couple of times there are 4 appliances responding. The thing is with 4 appliances probably attending at 3-5min intervals is going to be tricky to set up different scenarios, on the simulator we can do engine fire, cockpit of a cessna fire and undercarriage fire oh and also 2-3 pool fires. Judging from your experience any other ideas.
We recently had an aircraft accident 3 weeks ago and police fire and heli-med crews attended. So some of our Emergency Procedures were tested.

Offline Chunty

Exercise Windmill
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »
Hi Stuart; the first question I would ask judging from your post is, are you providing an opportunity for the LA crews to train on their own or are they working alongside your RFFS? The point being that the multi-agency exercise we planned was to represent something the external agencies would likely attend at the airport.

I stated during the planning phase that based on the brigade's first responders (both RDS stations) not anticipating 'in attendance' quicker than eight minutes from time of call, in reality at our category if the RFFS hadn't suppressed the fire by that stage there would be little left for them to do but help damp down, and if the RFFS had extinguished the fire there would be no fire for them to tackle anyway.

Hence our plan involved no fire but plenty of practical hazards that external crews may encounter at an incident site that didn't involve fire; this was supported by data drawn from AAIB reports of incidents involving aircraft at the category we operate that suggested that in the area of incidents on or close to aerodromes fire only occurred at 4% of incidents (of which there were 100% fatalities!), yet 32% involved fuel spills as a hazard and 27% involved extrication of casualties entrapped by the wreckage. This heavily influenced the decision for a 'no fire', 'significant fuel spill', 'hazard rich', 'entrapped casualty' focussed scenario as this was more likely than fire and far more likely to represent complex system/structural hazards rather than the rather more obvious hazard that is fire, and statistically the place where the RFFS and external agencies are more likely to save a life.

This ethos is embedded in our RFFS operations where it is now cultural to regard firefighting as a means of enabling safety during life saving operations, with the actual life saving being as important in the crew training as fire protection. This change of focus I believe is realistic because we all know that burning flammable liquids yield a greater heat than aircraft materials can withstand in thirty to forty seconds, so with the best effort at making the two minute response time will we really get to a small aircraft incident quick enough to save a life from a fire? Sadly I think it unlikely. Some time ago a group of aerodrome operators looking to argue against the case for providing RFFS at lower category aerodromes made a statement in the aviation press that no single life has ever been saved from fire by a low cat fire crew. Whether or not this is factually correct I do not know, but in twelve years working and training with many firefighters at many aerodromes of differing category I have never heard of a single life being saved from fire at cat's 1 to 3.

This shouldn't detract from the importance of the RFFS however. What it doesn't and can't quantify is how many fires have been prevented by foam blanketing, system isolation or the collection of other actions that can mitigate hazards and prevent fire. And this is where we focus an increased proportion of our training capacity; because this is where we may save a life, without the person endangered even appreciating that we have done it.

I appreciate that traditionally that goes against the grain, we all love the challenge of fighting fire and the possibility of doing this to save a life is enormously rewarding and I am lucky enough to say that I have achieved this previously as a local authority firefighter at structural fire incidents, but the physics supported by the data indicate that at light aircraft fires this isn't going to happen as long as we are on a two minute response time.

If someone does know of a life saved by a cat 1,2 or 3 crew please tell us, I'd love to be educated on how it worked and what happened?

Without being specific I also train an RFFS at a Cat 1 aerodrome. Last August they attended an incident (2 man crew) involving an aircraft just inside their 1000 metres. The aircraft was on its back, occupied and fully involved in fire by the time they arrived, there was a suggestion that life existed at the point they arrived but this is just guesswork from bystanders. The two man crew did a brilliant job but used every drop of their TACR's 900 litres plus Dry Powder to extinguish the fire (rather more than the Cat 1 minimum primary media of 230 litres stated in CAP168). At the point of suppression there was no life to save if indeed there had been at all; they estimated that the first LA appliance arrived about ten minutes later! In summary they were as quick as they could have been, they extinguished the fire as quick as they could have done, the LA appliances turned out as quick as they could have done, but the result was a tragic loss of life regardless of all these best endeavours.

On the other hand if there had been no fire, they would have used the foam to make the situation safe to approach the aircraft, then get in amongst the aircraft and make the aircraft safe whilst prioritising casualties and taking immediate life saving actions. That to me is the role of the low cat RFFS and this is where efforts for working alongside local brigade's and paramedics should be concentrated because here we are 'more likely' to integrate our skills and save life.

Well I've waffled on a bit but that's because I feel strongly about how we balance our training, almost to the point where the title 'firefighter' seems inadequate and perhaps even old fashioned, and that's coming from an old fart that admits to being rather old school at times. But I remain pragmatic about what we do and what we can do.

In a nutshell Stuart I would have a word with your local authority friend and identify clearly what he wants to achieve from the training; does he want to learn how to work alongside your guys at a realistic incident scenario or does he just want his crews to have a bit of fun using your rig to do something they don't get the chance to do in their normal training routines. And when he's told you what his expectations are, then it's time to be prepared with what you and your RFFS need to get out of it, after all its your facility they are asking to use.

My advice to you is keep it realistic to the category you are working at for it to have any value for your staff.