Author Topic: IFTC (International Fire Training Centre)  (Read 20997 times)

Offline jerry135

IFTC (International Fire Training Centre)
« on: April 19, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
Hi,

Im due to start a course very soon at the iftc, i assume all of you on here would have already been there.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or information for me as I dont really know what to expect!

Also, a stupid thing, however, my main concern is, is there a gym onsite that i can use in my spare time?

Thanks

Jerry

Offline TheCapt

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:08:06 PM »
Hi

Yes there ia a small limited on site gym....not sure what else you want to know? As regards to expectations have you been to butlins?lol which course are you attending?

Regards
Better Out Than In !

Offline Just

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
As TheCapt said there is a small gym there along with a small, and now not so smokey, bar.

Depending on what course you are on, depends on your accommodation. It has been, the higher the course the better the room.

What course are you booked on??

Offline jerry135

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
Hi,
Good point, sorry, im on the firefighter initial course!

Offline Chunty

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »
In that case you'll be in Stalag Luft.

No seriously, IFTC is a pretty good and extremely friendly, comfortable place to stay. The cleaning ladies are a wonderful bunch of back-up Mum's, good for shirt washing/ironing for a few shillings. There is a gym, apparently, I tend to steer more towards the bar which as stated in an earlier post is of course now completely smoke free so whilst I prefer the bar to the gym I end up spending half my evenings out in the cold, but that's modern free Britain for you.

You won't have a room to yourself being on boot camp but you will be warm and well fed. I have heard several people moaning about the quality of the food, frankly I think it boils down to being too fussy and any place that is going to cook me a full English in the morning and substantiate that with a cooked lunch and evening meal has got my vote even if it's not Gordon Ramsey standard. Mind you if you attend one of the function evenings like the annual awards ceremony, the kitchen staff prove that they have what it takes to produce some real quality nosh.

I am sure you will enjoy it and one thing's for sure, you will make a group of friends that you will keep for life, even if you only meet up every few years on reval course, they'll always be the ones you started your career with.

Have fun and work hard.

Offline jerry135

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
Hi again,

Thanks for all the information, im glad theres a little gym then, i didnt want to go 6 weeks without one!!!

Im starting to get excited now!!!

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »
Quote from: jerry135
Hi again,

Thanks for all the information, im glad theres a little gym then, i didnt want to go 6 weeks without one!!!

Im starting to get excited now!!!
Now you're in why bother??? I've not been near a gym for 18 years. ;) If you want to make it in the fire service learn to drink big.  Cant beat a fireground puke in the morning. :)
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Benfire

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »
Blackbull

FIRE

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:27:33 PM »
I think that is some bad advice Yeebsy, joking or not. You shouldn't be encouraging new recruits to be lazy with their fitness. In my experience i've seen far too many fire fighters let themselves go and struggle when the need arises for them to perform.
That saying, the learning how to drink is very relevant!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 02:44:56 PM »
Hmmmm. That explains everything. I've often wondered if some posts on this forum were made whilst under the influence of something or the other!

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
Quote from: FIRE
I think that is some bad advice Yeebsy, joking or not. You shouldn't be encouraging new recruits to be lazy with their fitness. In my experience i've seen far too many fire fighters let themselves go and struggle when the need arises for them to perform.
That saying, the learning how to drink is very relevant!
I thought the smillie face gave it away, and the fact that it sounds like Jerry loves gym work, I don't think I would influence him. Side note to Jerry 'make sure you have a sense of humour' as I feel these days this job is lacking it. :(
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline jerry135

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:01:08 PM »
Hahaha, I think i've got a good sense of humour and you lot are making me laugh!!!!

Dont worry I saw the funny side, anyway, yeah I love the gym but like everyone else, i love a pint!!! Im sure ill find the happy medium!!

Offline Chunty

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 08:52:37 PM »
If you want the Happy Medium you'll have to go in to Yarm on a Tuesday night, six weeks up there and you'll have more stories than me about that place, young whipper snapper like yourself.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:49:48 AM »
Cross key and the Claggy mat ;)

Offline himey

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »
you will have a good 6weeks at iftc i have been going there since 1986 18 times up to now lol dont forget the blackbull in yarm on a tuesday night as for sharing rooms never heard of that one in 23 years ive been up there bar is nicknamed the moonshine bar not much atmopspere especially for us smokeers relegated out side lol as for the gym jeeeeez didint know they had one lol only kidding just never made it past the bar to find it