Author Topic: Notice Boards in Corridors / staircases  (Read 4496 times)

Offline StuartH

Notice Boards in Corridors / staircases
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »
We regularly come across standard notice boards in staircases and means of escape routes, typically recommending that they are either removed or changed to a glass fronted FR type of notice board. We have however been advised that a guidance document has been produced dealing with notice boards in schools in which specific guidance is provided permitting the provision of notice boards in these locations under certain conditions (spacing etc). Despite a lengthy google search I have been unable to find this guidance.

Is anyone aware of this guidance (assuming it does exist)?

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Notice Boards in Corridors / staircases
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:08 PM »
You are perhaps referring to Building Bulletin 100- Design for Fire Safety In Schools Published by RIBA Enterprises (NBS is part of RIBA Enterprises Ltd), 15 Bonhill Street, London EC2P 2EA, on behalf of the Department for Children, Schools and Families, September 2007.
Section 3.1.6 covers Corridors and circulation areas and has words to the effect that The schools’ circulation routes will almost certainly be important for relaying information to the pupils by means of notice boards, or used as a display area for eg, pupils’ work. Notice boards should not be more than 3m wide, and there
should be a gap between notice boards on the same wall of at least 1m. Notice boards in a protected corridor should be fitted with a cover, preferably top hung so that the cover cannot be left ‘jutting-out’ into the escape route.

If you email me I may be able to help you with further information on where you may obtain a copy.

Offline SeaBass

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »
Kurnal is correct, BB 100 makes reference to notice boards, but schools are in a very difficult position as OFSTED insist that they display pupils work and details of all sorts of school events etc.

I find it best to point out the guidance and explain the potential hazards to the head teachers, and then give them some practical ideas for managing the situation. Most understand the problem and take some a degree of remedial action, but few adhere to the guide lines because it effects their OFSTED score if they do. 

Offline StuartH

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »
Thank you Kurnal and Ruby.

The building in which this matter has been raised is an office building with numerous protected staircases and notice boards provided in most landings in most staircases. My first thought was to recommended that they are either removed or replaced with glass fronted FR notice boards. However the RP advised during the FRA that a fire engineering company quoted a schools guidance note (I now know to be BB100) in which the provision of notice boards in a means of escape routes were permitted under certain conditions, stating that a similiar approach could be made to this office building.

I do have a copy of BB100 so will have a look at it to see what it says. 

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
Hi Stuart,

The guidance is one thing, and you should look at it, but the most important thing to do is to ask yourself:

1) Can these notice boards ever possibly catch fire - if so, how?

2) If one does catch fire what will be the effect on means of escape? (Can everyone safely use another staircase, i.e. is anyone in single staircase condition? Is the notice board worse than a 10m2 reception that is allowed in the base of a multi-stair building? Can disabled people safely use another route?)

3) Is the evacuation strategy of the building based on an assumption that a staircase might be lost to fire, or does it allow for the loss of a staircase?  You can probably answer this one just by observing if there are protected lobbies to the staircases.  If there are lobbies then the building is probably designed (i.e. the staircases have been sized) to be evacuated by using all staircases and you shouldn't really accept a situation where one might be lost. [There is a counter argument to this but I'll leave it for the time being as this is starting to get complicated.]   

4) Are the staircases fitted with pressure differential systems?  If so then there is no question that the notice boards must go.

If conditions are such that the notice boards are safe to stay then you should ensure that the management of the building are aware that allowing the notice boards is a concession and not something that can be expanded upon in the future.  Perhaps set the limits given in BB100.

Stu