Author Topic: Emergency lighting  (Read 5930 times)

Offline woody5746

Emergency lighting
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
Regarding the above topic, is it as much a grey area as fire alarm systems, in as much that it has to be suitable and sufficient, if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be obliged...... :)

Offline nearlythere

Re: Emergency lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »
Woody. The right direction of what?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline woody5746

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
apologies, direction regarding legislation on types of emergency lighting required for types of properties........

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
apologies, direction regarding legislation on types of emergency lighting required for types of properties........
Woody. Esssentially there is no legislation on the provision of emergency lighting. It would come under the umbrella of the provision of adequate means of escape in the event of fire. The recognised standard is BS5266 Pt1 and therein you can find information on the design etc.
There are other sources of information and guidance on the internet which cut through the jargon and blether found in many BSs and these can provide you the basic design of a system and where they are generally applied.

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 04:46:38 PM »
Or: Article 14(2)(h) of the RRFSO

emergency routes and exits requiring illumination must be provided with emergency lighting of adequate intensity in the case of failure of their normal lighting.

Any FRS will usually state that you must supply emergency lighting "where necessary", and would often suggest that BS5266 pt 1 details an acceptable standard.

It is not a grey area, it is a fairly well lit area whereby you can see your way out if the normal lighting fails.  :P

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 05:00:30 PM »

emergency routes and exits requiring illumination must be provided with emergency lighting of adequate intensity in the case of failure of their normal lighting.

Any FRS will usually state that you must supply emergency lighting "where necessary", and would often suggest that BS5266 pt 1 details an acceptable standard.

It is not a grey area, it is a fairly well lit area whereby you can see your way out if the normal lighting fails.  :P
Of course Civvy.
I keep thinking about NI situation.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »

Of course Civvy.
I keep thinking about NI situation.
And indeed Civvy when I look at NI legislation there it is also in white and black. So Woody, forget what I said as I am a buffoon although, in my defence and to save me some face, it does come under the "Means of Escape" section of the Regulations.
You must also bear in mind that, due to the severe water shortages experienced here at the minute, I am getting a little ripe.

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
Dont forget also that the Building Regulations are statutory and they do specifically require that escape routes are provided with emergency lighting.
Regards,
Lyle dunn

Offline Jim Creak

• http://www.means-of-escape.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:08 AM »
There are alternatives to BS 5266 Part 1, I would suggest reference to ISO 16069 Safety wayguidance systems is worthy of consideration for designers. I obviously have a vested interest in photoluminescent safety wayguidance system as they pay my salary however these systems now have considerable provenance for risk appropriate based applications. Low proximity escape illumination systems can offer the risk assessor, competent and responsible person another dimension for consideration remembering the first place that smoke goes is the ceiling to obscure traditional lighting without any mains power failure occurance. These systems are now compulsory within stairways, in all tall buildings in New York. This is a direct function of the value of the systems experienced by successful evacuees in the horrors of 9/11.

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 07:53:51 AM »
Dont forget also that the Building Regulations are statutory and they do specifically require that escape routes are provided with emergency lighting.
Regards,
Lyle dunn
Yes Lyle. I have been stupid haven't I? No more reminders please.
Hope you had a nice Xmas.