Author Topic: Evacuation of Mobility Impaired persons  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Mikex

Evacuation of Mobility Impaired persons
« on: May 25, 2004, 10:04:34 AM »
I would be grateful if anyone has come across any methods of evacuating mobility impaired persons from multi story buildings, without the use of an evacuation lift. We currently rely on evac chairs, usually supplied by "Paraid" but have difficulty in keeping competant persons suitably trained and experienced where we have high staff turnover. There are also issues with some MI persons being either scared of using evac chairs, or unable to do so for medical reasons. I would be grateful to hear of any innovative methods, or equipment that others have found effective.

Thanks Mike Bartlett

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 04:11:07 PM »
Hi Mike, this is going to sound very negative but I have spent years trying to address this issue. I have come to the conclusion that it is intractable. (sp?).
First some facts.

1. Disabled persons have a right, (almost an absolute right), to use buildings and services (DDA, various parts).
2. Current fire safety law, and certainly future law, (RRO) will make it crystal clear that the 'responsible person' has a duty to all people using a building over which he/she has some control.
3. Building Regs make it virtually certain that disabled people will be able to get into a large majority of blgs.
4. Disabled persons, especially in wheelchairs, struggle to manage stairs and can delay the evacuation of others. However, many disabled persons are happier to bumb down a few floors on their bums rather than be dependant on some well meaning policy.
5. Current fire safety advice says don't use lifts. (unless fully adapted).

The upshot of all this, and much, much more is that the government/business/society is not prepared to underwrite the cost of providing fire evacuation lifts in a huge number of buildings.

Am I wringing my hands and saying nothing can be done? Not really, what you are doing is probably all that could 'reasonably' be expected but you yourself acknowledge the shortcomings.
This issue has been discussed extensively on this forum in the past and eventually each thread grinds into exhaustion.

Perhaps a lift installer could estimate the cost of a hybrid system. Do we really need the whole dual power supplies etc. After all, in any estimation of risk the chance of a mobility impaired person being in the lift when the single power supply fails must be fairly low. (Unless of course you are the one).

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 07:27:24 AM »
Besides evac-chair and fire evacuation lift, have anyone thought of evac-shute? Understand it can be used by people with mobility impared too! :o

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 07:32:59 AM »
It has been suggested to me that in many cases a conventional lift could be used. The theory goes that, in most cases, fires are small and often remot from the lift. A Dynmaic Risk asessment by building managers to assess the safety of using a lift would be necessary. There would need to be a back up provision for stair evacuation.

I'm in two minds myself abot this idea - Id be interested to hear what others think.

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 07:48:02 AM »
In theorey conventional lift could be used if fires are small and remote from the lift. But it is not wise to promote this concept as not many  building managers are capable to assess the safety of using a lift under such assumption! :rolleyes:

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 12:52:13 AM »
The lift power supply cables could be well remote from the lift and could fail as a result of the fire.

Offline Simon Morriss

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 01:06:17 PM »
I recently heard that CAFCO we going to recommend the use of lifts under risk assessed circumstances such as already mentioned.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 09:12:53 AM »
Hope that some authority or policy makers should come up with some standardized procedures and facilities that is recemmended or needed for proper and safer way of getting the mobility impaired down!