Author Topic: PQA's  (Read 65318 times)

Offline Nearlybaldandgrey

PQA's
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 04:06:29 PM »
To progress from Crew to Watch Manager and Station to Group Manager, there are in-band processes. These supplement the ADC levels of management. Some services are using just an interview to promote in band, others use job related tests and assessments.

Job related tests should test technical and practical knowledge that is expected of the level of management. For example, I have recently been assessed using a written exam for the technical knowlede, a presentation of demographic information and an incident command assessment commensurate with Watch Manager B.

The old style exams, which I have passed were a test of memory and demonstration of one's ability to to oversee a standard drill and small incident aswell as deliver a debrief.

ADC's are aimed at testing management skills. As a manager, you are expected to manage.

There are problems with the ADC process, but it appears that theses may be caused by a lack of understanding both of those taking them and those assessing. It's all new and shiny and will take some time to bed in, but it also relies on peoples ability to adapt to the new processes and leave the past exams behind, even though it does grind that all that time and effort has now been for what appears to be nothing.

In financial terms it is impossible to have an ADC at each level and once on development, it's up to you to gather evidence to support a claim that you are competent against the role maps.

Post dispute, all existing managers were deemed competent for pay purposes only, so who's to say that assesments for competence won't be introduced for managers?

Offline fireftrm

PQA's
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2008, 05:31:04 PM »
JO1 and JO2 tickets? What are they. I went on JOA part 1 and part 2 courses, but they were not tickets for promotion, they wrre courses, no more. Also there was no exam/set test past StnO, unlike the new system.................
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline kev14

PQA's
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 10:42:05 AM »
JO1 and JO2 qualifications, as in you had completed technical and practical examinations to the level of Lff and SubO these then gave access to a promotion board through an application sift for whatever qualification/ticket you held.
As i said earlier i am not against the new system it just appears that not everyone has to jump through the same hoops, and from my experience of having been offered promotion to SubO after several years as a ALff under the old system using a PQA based application and interview, and having had to decline due to personel reasons i now find myself a year on awaiting my CM development plan under the new system, ADC etc, and watching the current applicants for WM only having a PQA based interview this is what i mean by the statement not everyone jumping through the same hoops.
Like i said i am not against the new system but what does appear apparent is the large differences in the system from brigade to brigade and the lack of understanding throughout, this could be down to individuals not enquiring or a lack of breifing by brigades.