Author Topic: Career in the aviation fire service!  (Read 21398 times)

Offline Northern200

Career in the aviation fire service!
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
Hi all, I would like some information on how to become a aviation fire service and what reasons they would be looking for on the application form as to why you would like to be a firefighter.

All help and information would be appreciated.

Offline The_RKu

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:56:06 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't bother: The brother of one of my colleagues has been an airport ff at Gatwick for years, apart from training he's NEVER seen a fire. If you want to be a ff I'd suggest looking to your local FRS. My station is reasonably busy, but even we go through periods without any jobs and it does get rather boring. That's just my opinion, of course.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:34:23 PM »
I wouldn't bother either, Heathrow Airport only attends 3600 calls a year and get paid £10000 (10K) a year MORE than LA.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline blazing_air

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:35:46 PM »
Northern
Depite many differing views, a career in the Airport Fire Service can be very rewarding - it's not all about putting wet stuff on the hot stuff!
There is a lot of information on this site in different threads, so i suggest the first place you look for information is right here on this site.
As to the application form questions - ask yourself "why do you want to become an aviation firefighter" ?
Only you can asnwer that one.

Offline blazing_air

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »
good answer yeebsy !

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 07:41:11 AM »
I've been Airport Fire Service for 4 years now. I've seen a few fires, one on an aircraft and a few off airport where the local authority have requested one of our Major Foam Tenders to attend for a bit more pumping 'oomph'!.

Local FRS are attending fewer fires now too, admittedly more than the AFS do, but its not all kicking in doors and tackling flames on a daily basis. I've got friends in the locals who would love to join the airport, mainly due to the better pay, conditions and shift pattern.

Les

Offline lee cuthbertson

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »
hello,
           can anyone give accurate details on salary both during training and after in AFS.  thanks

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 05:13:42 PM »
Where would you find out if airports are recruiting?

Offline careym

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:25:08 PM »
Check the BAA website for jobs at the Aiport or check your local press

Offline docfin

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 08:08:14 PM »
Yeebsy. I am curious about your 3600 calls per year and would be interested to know what the main cat of call is. I honestly am not doubting your word but am interested as this seems like you are indeed very busy.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Docfin, I totally understand your doubts. I should have rephrased my reply but this 'A friend of my brothers who has a friend of a forty second cousin who once spoke to someone on the phone who was in the AFS in Outer Mongolia' crap winds me up, yes some airports are quite as are some full time stations but some are also busy. All calls totaled round the 3600 mark mostly the crap run around AFAs (yes they make up the bulk as you can imagine), but we get a fair few aircraft calls, RTA (sorry RTC now), medical emergencies (getting more of them as they have slashed the ambulances), suicides (obviously can't face flying), terrorist alerts, hazmat incidents (get quite a few of them), the odd pumping job due to flooding, the airport has more road/train/baggage tunnels than you can shake a ****ty stick at. Heathrow covers 3000 Acres and has a work force of 53000 people made up from different companies and airlines, we have a through put of 62000000 (62 Million) passengers a year roughly 120,000 people a day. We do get quite periods, infact it has gone very quite reccently but then of a sudden all hell breaks loose and you don't get a minutes piece.

Lee C, Not sure about salary during training but after a couple of years once you become an LFF you would be looking at around £36000 with all enhancements then if you go down the overtime route (I don't bother but the ones that cane it can add a further 8-10 grand).

Andy C, www.BAA.com

Doc I hope this clarifies a bit.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline docfin

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »
Thanks for that mate. I really was just curious. Have to say I am very jealous of the salary you boys get, I am a WM A in a LA F and S and not earning anything like as much as your CMs by the sound of it. As for the fires I have been to hundreds over the years and it honestly does become a bit boring after a while. I wouldnt get too stressed about naff comments as they are usually born out of ignorance.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »
Docfin, WMs at the airport are on a different contract to the CMs, last year they elected to accept annualized hours, the CMs and FFS didn't. A WM gets £47000 a year but built into this is 86 hours per year (Don't quote me on the exact amount of hours) overtime, where they are at the beck and call of the company. On their days off they can be put onto 'Amber' alert where really they can't plan for anything as they may get called in due to unforeseen sickness. Now I know the money looks nice but lets face it none of us are in this line of work for the money and unfortunately they are becoming further detached from the real job having to complete projects and competencies.

Offline docfin

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Thanks for that yeebsy. I wasnt really looking for a job as I am happy where I am so I hope you didnt think I was fishing . I was however impressed with your pay package. I have to admit though I could probably live with the extra bit of OT for a 13,000 pay rise.
My own brigade is presently going through the rank to role review (and frustratingly has been for about a year) and to be honest I think those WMs in my dept are punching way above their weight but it doesnt look like we are going to get anything out of it. I think most WMs around the country are now doing way more than they are getting recognised for but you boys are certainly up at the top of the food chain as far as pay is concerned. I was however interested to hear that one of our WMs was recently approached by another brigade and offered a substantially better pay package to transfer. It seemes that there are brigades out there who need expertise in certain areas and are willing to poach suitably qualified personel to fill posts. Interesting times ahead methinks.

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 10:39:01 PM »
Doc, I didn't think you were fishing, lol. We actually had a WM leave us last year and level transfer to Kent fire brigade, he would not tell anyone about the renumeration package. But as I said before none of us are in this for the money.