Author Topic: Robin Hood Cobra  (Read 19992 times)

Offline blazing_air

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
Robin Hood Cobra
« on: April 11, 2007, 08:50:46 PM »
Heard that Robin Hood turned over one of their ccobra's today, anyone know anything about this?
Reportedly it turned over a few times and the driver was hospitalised.
Hope all is well with the driver.

Chris Houston

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »
Would you translate that for the civies please?

Offline Fireguy1230

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 01:15:28 AM »
Blazing Air is reffering to the incident at Robin Hood Airport yesterday where a Carmichael Cobra 2 Major Foam Tender (airfield crash appliance) crashed.

Its a major piece of kit and the newest addition to the Cobra fleet (12 300 litres of water, 1600 litres of foam, weighs in at about 32 tonnes, costs about 400k)

Dunno exactly what happened but as Blazing Air said, it was rolled yesterday and 4 crew members were hospitalised ( number of crew is unconfirmed, i'm repeating 'grapevine' statistics)

Its a nightmare scenario for any airport, as aside from the fact that your guys have been hospitalised, you've lost an appliance and that can affect the airport category, and thus, the amount and type of aircraft that may land there.

Offline DaveM

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 09:38:41 AM »
As a Watch Officer at Robin Hood Airport I can confirm the report of a Cobra 2 Fire Vehicle overturning.  The only person who was hospitalised was the duty Watch Commander, with suspected neck injuries; he has been checked over and found to have slightly strained it !! with no other apparent injuries.  He was released from hospital yesterday and is now at home.

2 other FFtr's were slightly injured (minor cuts and bruises), and treated on scene, the driver had no injuries what so ever.

As there is an ongoing enquiry at the moment, I can not comment on this any further.  However thank you for all your concerns.

Offline LDN

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
Is this Cobra a `write off` or are you still busy with a assessment?

Offline blazing_air

• http://www.kiafire.org.uk
Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 05:39:56 PM »
Thanks DaveM
Glad to hear everyone is ok, dont fancy the the Oic's job on this investigation.
But would obviously be interested in the outcome as there are a lot of Cobra's out there and if it's a design problem there will be a lot of people knockin at Carmichaels door.
One question i do have DaveM that you may be able to answer is: were the crew wearing seatbelts and was it on a shout or training?
..ok that was 2, but who's counting.

Offline CAT9

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Just heard about the Cobra incident, although it’s a costly test turn out. The main concern is the crew on board. As most airport firefighters know we don’t wear seat belts on the appliances on the airfield and especially on turn outs. Just very glad no serious injury incurred.
Hope there not too hard on the driver, and glad Garry was ok after the hospital checkup!

Offline Kaiser

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:00:36 PM »
Is it true that Robin Hood really did fly his airoplanes from Doncaster then ???
Malo Mori Quam Foed Ari

Offline AirOpsMan

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 09:57:05 PM »
I have been reading the above comments and wholeheartedly agree that in this particular case the most important thing is the crew were not seriously injured. As an airport employee not directly involved with rescue and fire fighting however, the most important thing for me personally would be that the vehicle in question was not responding to a fire on a large passenger aircraft at the time.

Hopefully we will all have access to the lessons learned from this incident whatever they are and the risks of such an event occurring during response to an aircraft fire will be significantly reduced.

As a personal view, just now I think there is a tendency to confuse the static stability of the machines with dynamic stability and therefore we are a little surprised when they do roll. If you look hard enough, you won't have to work too long at an airport before you will see an airport fire vehicle reach the point of first wheel lift.

Offline LDN

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »
So does anyone have an update for us as yet?

Regards

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:36:50 AM »
Has anything come out of the investigation into the incident as to whether there was a mechanical fault with the carmichael appliance yet as we are concerned that this is the 3rd carmichael whoopsy we have come across (IOM, JERSEY, and now ROBIN HOOD)
I am only asking in case it is a safety issue that needs to be addressed before anyone gets killed

Offline AirOpsMan

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 10:55:47 AM »
I thought it might be helpful to have a couple of links to information on the two incidents mentioned above in 2004.

http://www.iomguide.com/news/general-news.php?story=468
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/jersey/3710663.stm

Offline LDN

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 12:28:07 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the links.
Any update re the Robin Hood Cobra.......is it a write off and is the investigation still on going?
Regards

Offline graham31

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »
Quote from: LDN
Hi
Any update re the Robin Hood Cobra.......is it a write off and is the investigation still on going?
Regards
Hi just looking at the picture i would say that this Robin Hood Cobra will never see another runway.

Offline LDN

Robin Hood Cobra
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 12:07:16 PM »
Hi
Well the links refer to the Jersey and IOM Cobra`s and not the RH unit....