Author Topic: Number of Aviation Firefighters in the UK  (Read 14207 times)

Offline lauraw

Number of Aviation Firefighters in the UK
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:41:51 AM »
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows how many Aviation Firefighters are operational in the UK? Just for research purposes... I cant seem to find this info anywhere and I know it can vary greatly from airport to airport.
Thanks!

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:57 PM »
I have no idea, but there are 110 of us at Heathrow.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline Fireguy1230

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:19:28 AM »
Probably best contacting IFTC Teesside and asking them. They will be responsible for the training and certification of them and as such may have a rough ball park figure as to how many are on their 'books'.

FIRE

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:22:28 AM »
All the RAF and MOD firefighters train at FSCTE Manston. There are about 650 RAF firefighters.

Offline stevfire2

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:20:45 PM »
dont forget, only low category supervisors will show up on sercos files. there will be many more "low cats" trained locally. we have 3 teeside trained supervisors, and 7 locally trained.

Offline ruffles1

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
IFTC put approx 2000 avaition students through the college last year

Offline lauraw

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:35:31 PM »
Thats all great thanks.
I will contact IFTC Teesside to see if they have an idea of UK numbers on the whole but it is useful to hear how many are inindividual airports too as this info seems hard to come by in the web!

Benfire

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:33:58 PM »
BAA Southampton has 33 operational personnel, plus the AFM

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:31:46 AM »
Benfire, if you're Southampton how come you got the Hampshire badge? you in the bunnies?
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Benfire

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
yeebsy, yeah, been retarded, I mean retained, for a year now.  AFS soton not the busiest station in the world, so retained lets me see more hot smokey stuff.  Out of interest, what the approx number of calls LHR get a year these days?  Last I heard it was around 4500 a year?

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »
I don't know exact figures, we have dropped a bit and if memory serves me right it's down to 3500 a year but bear in mind the majority of them are crappy AFA etc. But then again fire 10 has been to T5 a lot so the number may go up again this year.

Benfire

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »
3500?!?!? It would take about 9 years to get that down here!  My transfer letter is in, so I'll hopefuuly be up there before xmas

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:08 AM »
Half the strength here is made up of ex Southamptonintes. Do you know many of the guys here?

Benfire

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 11:56:24 AM »
not really, know a few names, and met a couple, but no-one's transferred from sou to lhr since ive been here.  Rich padgington was on my basic course, he still loafing around up there??

Offline Yeebsy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »
Ye, Loafing being the operative word.