Author Topic: Apollo Ancillary Sounder  (Read 17708 times)

Graeme

Re: Apollo Ancillary Sounder
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 06:51:59 PM »
Buzzard, all ancillary base sounders operate in a fire condition.

experience that i have with them is that will only operate with the detector if the control panel is not told that there is a sounder at the detectors address.

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »
In hindsight I get these things now (used similar on the old Minerva 80 etc.) and now wish I had've considered them on other projects instead of (a) worrying about the umber of devices on the loop )in relation to actual address numbers) and (b) grouping sunder bases with the same address.
Everyday is a school day,huh?? ::)

Offline Big_Fella

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
The ancillary sounder will only operate if the detector head is in place as it operates off the remote LED output of the head.  Therefore the detector should be locked in the base.

Although there are some manufacturers where the sounder is built into the head rather than the base.  These detectors for this very reason do lock in the base and require a special tool to remove the head/ sounder from the detector base
** Knowledge is power, I'm still working on both **

Offline Benzerari

• http://benzerari.tripod.com/fas/
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »
B.Fella;

I personally never ever seen a sounder base working as remote LED, they are rather fed from to the zone circuit or loop circuit (+, -) and not from the remote LED connections (+R,-R) in case of Apollo... etc, the remote LED connections wouldn’t supply enough current to sound a sounder base, it could be enough to light up some LEDs only…

Offline Allen Higginson

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:58 PM »
B.Fella;

I personally never ever seen a sounder base working as remote LED, they are rather fed from to the zone circuit or loop circuit (+, -) and not from the remote LED connections (+R,-R) in case of Apollo... etc, the remote LED connections wouldn’t supply enough current to sound a sounder base, it could be enough to light up some LEDs only…

Apollo one does Benz,as per the datasheet I attached earlier in the thread.

Offline Big_Fella

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 08:36:21 AM »
Benz,

The sounder is switched on using the LED output of the associated detector, It may still draw a small portion of current from the loop to power the device, but the remote LED output is what switched the sounder 'ON'

It draws 3.2 mA in an alarm condition.

Because it has no address and is switched ON from the remote LED programming of cause and effect of the sounder is not possible.

Because of the way Apollo operate the device etc you can have a considerable amount of sounders on a loop, which is good if there is no cause and effect.  Although note that the maximum dB output is 85dB.

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »
Could be, probably I am not yet updated  ???

Offline Galeon

• Dont ask me on here for advice , come down the Pub
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2008, 11:57:09 PM »
Question :
Who invented the loop sounder , and is the concept under patent , and are they built under the licence based upon the concept.
Its time to make a counter attack !

Offline Wiz

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »
Could be, probably I am not yet updated  ???

Benz, listen to what Big Fella is telling, learn something and hopefully, finally, become a bit more 'updated'!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
Question :
Who invented the loop sounder , and is the concept under patent , and are they built under the licence based upon the concept.

I don't think you can really patent a concept. There has to be 'specifics'. The idea has to have something tangible such as a physical design or a way of doing something that can be accurately described before it can be patented.

Years ago, just after platform sounders first came out, I invented a version for use in non-addressable systems where the detector remote indicator output of an operated detector caused the sounder to continue to emit a  bleep even after the main sounder had been silenced. The purpose was to assist in the precise location of the operated detector when searching a fire zone containing dozens of detectors. It even meant you didn't need to 'throw open' a closed door in a room potentially containg a fire - you could listen for the bleep through the door.

I offered the idea to the major sounder manufacturers for free - but no-one took it up.

These days I take my ideas to Dragons Den. Their insults are far better quality!

Offline Benzerari

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
Question :

I don't think you can really patent a concept. There has to be 'specifics'. The idea has to have something tangible such as a physical design or a way of doing something that can be accurately described before it can be patented.

Years ago, just after platform sounders first came out, I invented a version for use in non-addressable systems where the detector remote indicator output of an operated detector caused the sounder to continue to emit a  bleep even after the main sounder had been silenced. The purpose was to assist in the precise location of the operated detector when searching a fire zone containing dozens of detectors. It even meant you didn't need to 'throw open' a closed door in a room potentially containg a fire - you could listen for the bleep through the door.

I offered the idea to the major sounder manufacturers for free - but no-one took it up.

These days I take my ideas to Dragons Den. Their insults are far better quality!

Good idea Wiz,

If approaching the Dragons, they always suppose that you have completed 99% of your project, and they prefer to collaborate with the last droplet, while expecting to share much of your profit..., there is no thing wrong with that, this is business, but still down to you to negociate the best deal..., you have to have all the figures ready, how much you are going to sell…, and how much profit you are going to make..., that's what they want to hear, they look more pragmatic

Offline Big_Fella

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
Wiz - I will buy one from you... and I wouldn't expect to pay more than a tenner  ;D