Author Topic: Very Dumb Question - What is a Keech Tool?  (Read 12585 times)

Offline Frankie

Very Dumb Question - What is a Keech Tool?
« on: October 25, 2005, 09:25:37 PM »
What is a keech tool? What does it look like? and What is it used for?

Offline Cut Fire Service Pay

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:36:19 PM »
Never used one. Is it some kind of crowbar/wrecking tool?

Offline gbshultz

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 06:41:47 PM »
Imagine a large old fashioned can opener approximatly 9"-12" long, 1/2"square section metal body with a hardened flat pointed piece of steel 1" wide x 1 1/2" long joined verticaly at one end on one side, and another piece of hardened flat steel joined on the opposite side of the square section at the same end but turning to follow the square section body. Both piece's are joined to the square section by allen screws approximatly 3" from the end. At the other end is, you've guessed it a rubber handle approx 4" long. It is used on pannel steel's usually a car's at an RTC, just like a can opener! Very quick in opperation, Smack the pointed end into the pannel to create a hole, turn the tool around and insert the other flat piece into the hole which I forgot to mention is sharpened along it's length, and move the handle up and down. It vertually move's along the pannel by itself. No moving parts quite in opperation, but you must wear gloves, the metal is torn upwards as the tool move's and could give you a nasty cut on your knuckle's if you get carried away and don't watch how far you lower your hand at each movement & goggles for obvious reason's. A very simple tool, avery long explination. Sorry!

Chris Houston

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 08:44:35 PM »
Quote from: gbshultz
Imagine a large old fashioned can opener approximatly 9"-12" long, 1/2"square section metal body with a hardened flat pointed piece of steel 1" wide x 1 1/2" long joined verticaly at one end on one side, and another piece of hardened flat steel joined on the opposite side of the square section at the same end but turning to follow the square section body. Both piece's are joined to the square section by allen screws approximatly 3" from the end. At the other end is, you've guessed it a rubber handle approx 4" long. It is used on pannel steel's usually a car's at an RTC, just like a can opener! Very quick in opperation, Smack the pointed end into the pannel to create a hole, turn the tool around and insert the other flat piece into the hole which I forgot to mention is sharpened along it's length, and move the handle up and down. It vertually move's along the pannel by itself. No moving parts quite in opperation, but you must wear gloves, the metal is torn upwards as the tool move's and could give you a nasty cut on your knuckle's if you get carried away and don't watch how far you lower your hand at each movement & goggles for obvious reason's. A very simple tool, avery long explination. Sorry!

A car opener?

Offline Frankie

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 11:30:23 AM »
Quote from: gbshultz

What would you use it for? By that i mean, there are plenty of better tools to cut holes etc in bits of metal.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 10:30:38 AM »
Also why would you want to cut open a panel (note the spelling) as most extrications involve removal of doors/roofs the panel opening is of little use.

As well as spelling there are an awful lot of apostrophes in use when the words are in fact merely plural. The apostrophe is used to denote either a) belonging to - as in Peter's or James's or b) a compressed term - as in it's in place of it is, or here's in place of here is. The s is otherwise simply a plural - cars is the plural of car, knuckles that of knuckle etc.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 11:50:29 AM »
Ok so his English isn't great, But he new what a Keech tool is and that's something I didn't know.

We are, none of us, perfect. But we now all know what a Keech tool is!

When somebody is cutting me out of the wreckage I am not going to be checking their grammar.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 05:36:04 PM »
Nice one, love the deliberate mistakes!

PS the Ff NOS is cross mapped to deliver Literacy and Numeracy at Level 2, ICT at Level 1, so the quality of such work is actually important for the service. It is now also a requirement for entry in many FRAs that the applicant have a level of Literacy and Numeracy.

I fully agree with your practical example, however if they have very poor Basic Skills they may have wrongly fuelled the power pack, or misread some important SOP, and the whole resuce goes to pot.

Fill the tanks has quite a different meaning to the tank's empty, despite the differing sentence construction. That apostrophe may just have left one, or more, fuel tanks empty. I'm sure there are much better examples.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline gbshultz

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 01:13:57 PM »
Well I've always known that I'm not a literary giant amongst men probably due to a secondary modern education and the lack of an enthusiastic teacher. I did however excel at maths ,technical drawing, metalwork, woodwork, art and physical training.
Perhaps I'm more of a practical sort of person.
When I first joined the service (swing the lamp) pump escapes were still common in a lot of counties, along with Bedford TK's nicknamed noddy wagons, you've guessed it your corresponding with a dinosaur.

Frankie, your right there are much better tools on the appliance to achieve cutting a hole in metal these days. Zip guns, cengar saws and epco hydraulic jacking gear moved to the great tool grave yard years ago. I suppose that because it takes up little space, cost nothing to maintain, is already carried on every pump in the county, takes about 5 seconds to teach somebody how to use it, its a wonder that we still carry the thing.
I don't mean to sound sarcastic.

But it is still a tool that can be utilized by vertually anyone to gain access to a vehicle if you don't carry dedicated cutting equipment on your pump.
I last used it at an RTC drill to cut across a bonded laminated windscreen prior to the A posts being cut  by the clan lucus, very little glass dust is produced but obviously masks have to be worn by everybody in the operations area.

Wee brian thankyou for your comments. In my humble opinion this is still a practical job, being able to think laterally and utilize equipment is an advantage.

fireftrm you are very sharp. I agree that we do need to be able to read and write, and that my english skills are lacking You obviously enjoy word games, resuce indeed, as much as I enjoy Su Doku.

In my defence, this is the first time I have ventured into this environment.
I enjoyed reading the discourse on guidelines or string as some prefer to describe it, particularly Dave Bevs.
There are some very intelligent and humorous people out there and I look forward to learning more from them.

Chris Houston

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 05:16:01 PM »
Thanks everyone for their input, I don't think we need to debate further the merits of good grammar.  If anyone has anything to add about Keech Tools, feel free.  Off topics posts will be removed.  Feel free to start up a new topic on the merits of grammar if one feels inclined.

Peace out,
Chris.

Offline dave bev

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 07:39:07 PM »
better to have peace out than off!

dave bev