Author Topic: Sounder levels in Care Homes for the Elderly Vs Hospital  (Read 3722 times)

Offline jim

Sounder levels in Care Homes for the Elderly Vs Hospital
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
Is there any clear demarcation between what is a care home for the elderly and what is a hospital for purposes of prescribing a staff alarm as apposed to a general audible fire alarm warning?.
The direction I am coming from is this, I have been asked to provide a replacement detection system to upgrade the existing inadequate non addressable system to an L1 system in a residential care home for the elderly. An audibility test was carried out, the results of which identified the maximum sound pressure level in any bedroom was 69dba. I therefore recommended that the alarm sounders be supplemented with bedroom sounders.
However the local FO has decreed that the sound level only needs to be 45 dba. I understand that BS5839 Pt1 2002 Clauses 19.1 &19.2.2 discuss Staff alarms but where are they appropriate what criteria needs to be met and who decides their suitability, what is the allowable staff to occupant ratio day / night.

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 02:32:43 AM »
If the oldies are capable and would be expected to get up and go, the level should be 75 dB (A) according to BS (but not according to HTM 84). If they would need to have assistance it is 65dB (A). The 45-55 is only for HTM 82 premises and does not apply to res care.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline Brian Catton

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 05:26:19 PM »
Colin,
I think this is an over simplification as the occupancy of most res care homes is mixed ability. some are sedated at night, others are confused some are none ambulant whilst others are aware and fully ambulant.
Therin lies the problem. I believe that the key to the problem lies in adequate training and staffing levels, alarm to alert staff and compartmentation. Yes I know I am thinking along HTM 81/82 lines but the principles work.
It is a pity that the same standards cannot be applied to both Res care and hospitals.