Author Topic: Flats above Commercial.  (Read 3109 times)

jakespop

Flats above Commercial.
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
I am carrying out FRA on a premises containing two shops on ground level and flats on first and second. Only one way in and out, via front door( alongside shops). Flats let to students.
Flats and shops are leased to different persons. Part 6 alarm in common areas but nothing in shops. Not purpose built so horizontal separation likely to be only 30 minutes.I have only been asked to do the upper floors by the leaseholder of that part.

Does Article 22 apply here in that "responsible persons must cooperate with each other" as I am anxious to upgrade alarm to cover all areas.This is a question which must come up often as our high streets are littered with this type of premi!!ses.

Offline nearlythere

Re: Flats above Commercial.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
I am carrying out FRA on a premises containing two shops on ground level and flats on first and second. Only one way in and out, via front door( alongside shops). Flats let to students.
Flats and shops are leased to different persons. Part 6 alarm in common areas but nothing in shops. Not purpose built so horizontal separation likely to be only 30 minutes.I have only been asked to do the upper floors by the leaseholder of that part.
Does Article 22 apply here in that "responsible persons must cooperate with each other" as I am anxious to upgrade alarm to cover all areas.This is a question which must come up often as our high streets are littered with this type of premi!!ses.
Co-operation and co-ordination required but it is the relevant responsible persons duty to do this and the F&RS to enforce it. You can only carry out the assessment of the areas you have been asked to do which would include any fire risk to others. You could advise the leaseholder to request a copy of the Assessment of the ground floor areas which, if there is one and then only if had to be recorded, will, or should, assess any risk to others.
In this ideal world everybody will have done their bit under the Order to ensure that they have controlled any risk to others from fire by what they do.
Is the building in single ownership?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
Hi jakespop,  I'm sure we've discussed this issue at length a couple of times in the past so it would be worth doing a little search of past threads.

My understanding is that the responsible persons in each premises (flats on the one hand and shops on the other) have duties in respect of the other premises by virtue of the fact that there are relevant persons in those other premises within the same building.  As there are two or more responsible persons who have duties in respect of each premises they must co-operate and co-ordinate. 

If the construction was up to scratch and there was one hour separation between premises then that would normally be sufficient for the RP of the shop to say that they have discharged their duty in respect of the relevant persons in the flats above.  But with your dodgy separation I think you're likely to be correct to push for detection in the shop(s) that gives warning in the flats.

Stu

jakespop

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:01:23 PM »
Hi Phoenix,
               I did raise a similar issue before but it was more straightfoward than this one. I am satisfied that fire alarm needs to be connected with the shops and as long as I detail my concerns with recommendations to my RP, I feel this should be sufficient.