Author Topic: Stay-Put Principle Brought Into Question  (Read 9341 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Re: Stay-Put Principle Brought Into Question
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Yes it does, Willie. They tend to confuse sheltered housing with res care.  A new BS 5839-6, soon to be published should help considerably.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Midland Retty

Re: Stay-Put Principle Brought Into Question
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »
Does it confuse? I'm not so sure.

Firstly I think that the fire service were pointing out that if staff are employed on site they need fire safety training which is quite correct (perhaps they felt fire drills were not sufficient training on its own perhaps especially if they investigate alarms ).

Secondly is it confusing to have staff assist with an evacuation if they are on duty? No. If a warden is on duty normally they will investigate alarms in individual flats, be it fire alarm, care link alarm etc. So I don't see an issue particularly as no one else will be reacting to an alarm, unless the communal alarm has gone off of course.

In my view the fire service are saying yes you do a have a stay put policy but if all goes belly up and for whatever reason the fire spreads from flat of origin we will be knocking doors and evacuating people in the immediate area (or perhaps your warden can do that for us if they are on duty) oh and by the way you need to think where these people are going to go once evacuated. In other words basic continuity plans should be drawn up.