Author Topic: Stair widths  (Read 5247 times)

Offline lyledunn

Stair widths
« on: December 13, 2014, 12:04:32 PM »
Can someone tell me how a stair width is established please? I have been asked to install a disabled chairlift to the stairs of a sports club. The stairs are an alternative escape route. The stair width is required to be 1000mm for 150 persons. This will be reduced to 750 by the travel rail and even less should the seat be on the flight. Should a fire incident occur whilst a disabled person is on the flight then the stair could be impeded almost completely.

Offline FireNet

• Administrator
    • FireNet
Re: Stair widths
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
Hi Lyledunn
Have a look at the following url on FireNet
http://www.fire.org.uk/frs--bc-calculations.html

Colin

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »
Colin, cheers for that but I want to know at which point in the stairs should the measurement be made. Surely anything protruding in to the stairs effectively diminishes the width of the stairs, regardless of where it is positioned. This travel rail is about 200mm above the treads. Can anyone please advise?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Colin, cheers for that but I want to know at which point in the stairs should the measurement be made. Surely anything protruding in to the stairs effectively diminishes the width of the stairs, regardless of where it is positioned. This travel rail is about 200mm above the treads. Can anyone please advise?
Have you tried TB "H"?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline FireNet

• Administrator
    • FireNet
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »
I have always used the usable stair width and measured from right handrail to left handrail using the bit in-between as the usable width
Have a look at part K
Colin

Offline Dinnertime Dave

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 07:51:02 PM »
The answers to all your questions are in ADB Appendix C - method of measurements.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 10:26:39 PM »
When you say the stairs are an alternative escape route does this imply there are several alternatives? On the face of things it does not look a viable proposition if there are only two staircases serving the first floor. .
The issues are not only the reduced width but also how use of the lift can be managed to ensure the staircase is available for exit use in an emergency, how non ambulant persons will be assisted and supported especially in a fire situation. Credit due to you Lyle most companies would install without a thought.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:12:54 AM by kurnal »

Offline lyledunn

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
Thanks to all. As Dave advised, I got my answer in TBB appendix C which notes that the rail of chairlifts can be ignored providing the chair can be parked clear of the stairs.
Kurnal, I provide a range of services, a lot within the leisure industry such as sports and social clubs. Whatever service I provide, I must ensure that it complies with the requirements of every statutory body.  After 25 years of doing this, I have come to realise that some of the inspecting officers of these bodies almost relish the opportunity to tell you something is wrong after the job is done!
I remember heating pipes were directed up the side of a flight at low level and boxed in. The IO considered the stair width to be impeded and made me remove them at considerable expense. The situation with the chairlift is worse than the situation with the pipes. A strange beast, Regulations!