Author Topic: School Visits  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Area Manager

School Visits
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »
I don't know if anyone can help or not.

I work for an organisation which is the leading national provider of out of school and in-company educational experiences for young people.

One particular project that I am involved with at the moment aims to enthuse students to consider continuing with chemistry in further and higher education.  I am looking to organise a visit for a school in the Southampton area and would like to involve them in the area of forensic science.  I had a thought that fire investigation might be a possibility.  

Would anyone know of anybody I could contact to discuss this - it would entail a site visit and some kind of hands-on activity for the students (possibly experiments, etc.).  The group would consist of approximately 15 Year 9 students.

Any thoughts/ideas would be very welcome.

Midland Retty

School Visits
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
Contact Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service direct on the number below - they are the Brigade which covers the Southampton area

Ask to speak to the Fire Investigation Team.

The practice of Fire Investigation is pretty standard across most fire services in the UK. The research / experimentation side differs from brigade to brigade. Some fire brigades have the budget to fund research departments whilst others don't.

Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service :- 023 8064 4000

Offline Area Manager

School Visits
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 09:09:59 AM »
Thank you for the advice.