Author Topic: Building regs standards & history  (Read 6198 times)

Offline AndyLeather

Building regs standards & history
« on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:53 PM »
Hi guys, does any one know of or have a document that shows the timeline of building regulation or legislative driven changes in relation to fire safety & building construction/design, for example the LACORS guide refers to 1991,  1970 is another date that frequently occurs as a bench mark.
It is quite difficult to establish features of buildings with guess work & an understanding of historical requirements helps immensely, another example is the changes to fire doors again with dates (talking about the 1inch rebate & no intumescents).
I am sure that some of our more experienced members will be able to help or steer, perhaps it may become another topic that could be introduced with references to significant changes & contributions are made as to where to find guidance from the time/years?

Your much valued thoughts please.... :)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Re: Building regs standards & history
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 11:55:28 PM »
This any good?

http://www.firesafe.org.uk/html/miscellaneous/history.htm

The website is run by our friend and regular contributor  TW Sutton and is a super source of fire safety info

terry martin

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »
There is no document as such, but it is not too difficult to establish a timeline. you need to look at each point at which the legislation changed.

Fire safety. look here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_fire_safety_legislation_in_the_United_Kingdom

for building regs. its a bit rubbish;

building regs, look here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_code

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 12:14:35 AM »
BR 88 (A BRE publication) is a detailed piece of reading for all the legislation and standards etc from 18th century up to 1974.

Not everything is down to regulations, i.e. The strips & seals became a requirement due to the BS476 test.

For what it is worth, something I found while doing research recently is that not everything you find on the internet is true. (Shock, horror!!!) So stick to what is in the official reports and books etc. (This is not having a go at the link Kurnal posted, that seems an accurate piece of info, just be careful with that sort of thing in general. :))

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:19:26 AM »
And Terry's wiki link is a good example of inaccurate information. :P

Offline Tom Sutton

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
Civvy I know its true because I was there, anyway most of that info came from Colin Simpson (Firenet) our esteemed sponsor and you are not going to criticise him are you. :P  On a more serious note I fully agree with you and if it’s about course work then even more so.
All my responses only apply to England and Wales and they are an overview of the subject, hopefully it will point you in the right direction and always treat with caution.

Offline AndyLeather

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
Thanks guys... any more on physical features developments/regs rather than legislation? I do agree with the fact that you should not believe all that you read on the net....
Any clues on the significance of circa 1970?

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
The Holroyd Report.

Offline John Webb

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 10:14:41 PM »
A later publication from BRE is "Aspects of fire precautions in buildings" by Read and Morris, published in 1988 as BRE 137. This is rather more general than Building Regs and thus gives a wider background.

I thought Richard Read (a colleague at Fire Research) was writing further about the Building Regs in the late 1990s, just after I took my early retirement, so a search under REH Read or BRE may turn up something else.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
Some good history there in BR 137.

BR 225 is written by Read, and is an updated version of BR 137. (Published 1993)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:58:04 PM by CivvyFSO »