Author Topic: Fire retardant treatment period  (Read 4629 times)

Offline ASIF

Fire retardant treatment period
« on: January 05, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »
Happy new year to all,

Had a question from a client yesterday regarding the following;
An atrium has four peices of material artwork hanging from the sixth floor (top) down to the ground floor reception area. Luckily this has been treated in the past (approx 5 yrs ago).
If it has suffered no damage is there a time period for it to be re treated or is it o.k. I can not get a difinitive answer except that its fine for about 20 years if no damage. . Just seems a bit vague. :-\
has anyone got a clearer option?

Thanks
Asif

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Re: Fire retardant treatment period
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »
If it's been treated then ther will be a "certificate" or some other document setting out who did it, when they did it and what they did it with. This will say how long the treatment is good for.

If in doubt you can get a sample tested or it may be easier to get it re-treated.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »
I agree with Wee Brian. It s impossible to assess unless you know what it was treated with and when, and whether since treatment it has been wet or cleaned or subject to any other environmental factor that may affect that particular treatment. Personally I would cut a bit off and do an ad hoc test out of curiousity but that  may not go down too well if its an artwork.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
You could try to satisfy your immediate needs by cutting a discreet bit off and putting a match to it.  (I've done that many times and, whilst I've had a certificate in one hand saying that the material is adequately treated to be fire retardant, from the other hand I've had to drop the merrily flaming material into a bin.)

However, if it didn't burn, it would only tell you that the bit you cut off wont burn when tested now.  Another part, that you haven't cut off, might burn readily and it tells you nothing about how it will perform in a month's time.  Also, being art, it might not be possible to chop a bit off.

If the people that treated it 5 years ago can be traced then I'd have a word with them.  I wouldn't ask for any guarantees or anything, just ask for an opinion on the likely performance today.

You haven't told us if there is other fire loading in the atrium, the size and of the hangings, how close they are to other fire loadings, if they're within the reach of the public, if there is smoke control in the atrium, if anyone's means of escape might be affected if these art works catch fire, etc.  I've dealt with a lot of hangings of one type or another in shopping malls.  If they are completely out of reach of people and are away from other items that might burn and electrical equipment I don't generally worry about fire retardancy.  How would they ever catch fire?

If your hangings have a real risk of catching fire, for whatever reason, then you might want to examine what the full consequences of them catching fire might be.  If they pose a real threat to anyone then they must, of course, be shown to be suitably fire retardant, but if they would burn away without spreading fire and without posing a threat to anyone then perhaps you can be more lenient on requiring fire retardancy.

Stu

Offline ASIF

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
Thanks for your input everyone,

I will raise the issues with my client and I think a visit is required to see how accessable the artwork is. I suppose he could enclose it all in FR glazing ::)

Maybe not!. Still seems strange that there is not a standard time frame to have items retreated.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:22:48 AM »
Marquees are similar ASIF. The durability of the treatment depends to a great extent on the type of fabric, the environment in which they are used, how often they are used, how they are cleaned etc.

Offline ASIF

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Thanks Kurnal,
I think a site visit is on the cards!

Best regards
Asif