Author Topic: BAA Recruitment  (Read 23006 times)

Offline mh

BAA Recruitment
« on: February 17, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
I have been a Firefighter for the past six years and qualified in all area having gained nationally recognised competency under the IPDS framework in the form of my NVQ Level 3 EFS Operations in the Community.

I am currently serving as an Aviation Firefighter within the MOD and due for release from my current role in summer 2007 after having gained my CAA ticket in aviation firefighting at the IFTC.
Does anyone know if I would have to go through the same recruitment procedure as "Joe Bloggs" having completed the CAA course which BAA put their new firefighters through.
Any experiences or advice would be great

Cheers guys.

Offline Yeebsy

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:03:26 AM »
Sorry to break this to you, but, yes. All recruits (even if you have your ticket) now go to Teeside for basic training.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline Alba

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
I have just finished at IFTC, and a couple of blokes were their on a bridging course, having come from retained. They didnt need to do the FF initial course apparently.

Offline Fireguy1230

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:30:04 PM »
Hi MH

Certainly from my experience with the AFS, you wouldn't be sent to Teesside to re sit your course again. That wouldn't achieve anything.

With regards to recruitment, i'm afraid that BAA do not operate a two teir entry system. So regardless of your experience you would still have to go through the same assessment stages and recruit tests as people from other walks of life.

Obviously having experience will give you an advantage in terms of interview examples.

Les

Offline Yeebsy

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »
Fireguy you say,
Certainly from my experience with the AFS, you wouldn't be sent to Teesside to re sit your course again. That wouldn't achieve anything.
Sorry bro but you are way off the mark, they still go to Teeside regardless.

With regards to recruitment, i'm afraid that BAA do not operate a two teir entry system. So regardless of your experience you would still have to go through the same assessment stages and recruit tests as people from other walks of life.
Correct

Obviously having experience will give you an advantage in terms of interview examples.
Wrong!! Having experience will do you no favors, as everyone will go on a basic course and the interviews don't tend to have fire related questions in there. The last set of recruits we have had, have no fire experience at all and I believe there was a few LA and RAF guys went for it.
Isn't it funny, how if you sit in a library and scream, everyone looks at you and tuts...but do the same thing on an aircraft and everyone joins in!

Offline Fireguy1230

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »
Sorry Yeebsy

But its you who is wrong. Do you seriously believe that they will send someone BACK to Teesside to complete a firemanship course and gain the SAME CAA Aviation Firefighter ticket that they already hold?!!

They're not gonna waste thousands on that mate. As long as the indiviual is still within ticket, they can be incorporated into the CAP 699 training programme and maintain their competence. And i am speaking from experience here.

With regards to the interview, i am not implying that people with fire service experience will walk into the job, merely that as it is an interview based on the key competencies for the firefighter role then a switched on person with the relevant experience will have no problem identifying evidence and examples and relating it to these competencies.

Les

Offline Yeebsy

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 11:26:04 PM »
Fireguy you may have experience but so do I, several of our guys came all ready CAA 'ticketed' and still went on a basic course (I don't have to believe I know), yes I totally agree with you that it is a waste of money but they still sent them, out of all the guys I work with I only know of 1 who did not have to do Teeside again and that was because he had only done it within the last 12 months.

I don't want to get into a debate of company politics, all I can comment on is what I have seen for myself.

Midland Retty

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 04:08:28 PM »
Quote from: Yeebsy
Fireguy you may have experience but so do I, several of our guys came all ready CAA 'ticketed' and still went on a basic course (I don't have to believe I know), yes I totally agree with you that it is a waste of money but they still sent them, out of all the guys I work with I only know of 1 who did not have to do Teeside again and that was because he had only done it within the last 12 months.

I don't want to get into a debate of company politics, all I can comment on is what I have seen for myself.
A friend of mine transferred from RAF F&RS straight into a BAA Fire Service job without retraining at Teeside.

Yes he did sit the initial recruitment stages like anyone else but was told it was pointless him reattending Teeside on appointment as he was already competent.

Go discuss!

Offline cheekymonkey

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
Hi, i been an airport fire fighter with the BAA for 6yers and helped deal with the recruiting process, we DONT let candidates with their tickets just go on the run and all new recruits have to go to teeside now, when i joined i had 3 ex raf boys with valid tickets on my basic course
in the current intake we got a guy who has a valid ticket and he has to go through the whole process even a basic course even though he is a serving watch manager at an outside airport
if you are already in the BAA then you can transfer within the 7 group airports

Offline graham31

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 06:40:05 PM »
hi,i'm filling in an application form for BAA fireservice.I've filled everything in but i'm stuck on 1 question.It reads"Please provide examples of how you have previously demonstrated the skill,knowledge and behaviours required for this job"
Does anyone know what they are looking for with this question or point me in the right direction on how to answer it?
I'm a panel beater to trade.

Any help would be helpful

Offline Fireguy1230

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 09:27:40 PM »
Cheeky Monkey

You are obviously just speaking from your own experience at your own location, because other BAA locations DO accept people with valid CAA firemanship tickets.

From my experience at my airport, people wouldn't be put be put straight on the run upon joining. They would go through the same induction, phase 2 and phase 3 training as everyone else.

They would just miss out the 6 weeks of running out hose and classwork at Teesside.

Offline lee cuthbertson

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:52:12 AM »
Hi,  just been selected for the 1st stage of the process. believing it to be numeracy tests, team exercises etc. can anyone shed some more light on this stage for me. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Offline TOM M

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
I have been as well far as I beleive it's all written exams ...Question though  they say smart casual but do you think a suit is over doing it   or thats what they mean?

Tom

Offline lee cuthbertson

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »
i think dress trousers and a polo shirt maybe to be safe  but i think calling up to check would be a best bet.

Offline scottishguy

BAA Recruitment
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »
Hi Guys,

I take it you are going to Paisley?.......see you there.

Any additional info would be appreciated.