Author Topic: Bogus Callers on 'Fire Safety Surveys'  (Read 6824 times)

Offline John Webb

Bogus Callers on 'Fire Safety Surveys'
« on: July 11, 2006, 02:29:41 PM »
Kent FRS issued a news item yesterday telling people to beware of bogus callers claiming to be carrying out a fire safety survey on behalf of Kent CC. Apparently a number of reports had been received from the public in the Ashford area about such activities. Kent FRS issued the usual reminder that if they did send anyone out it was at the request of the householder, they would be in uniform and an appliance would be nearby.

Does anyone else have any evidence of this sort of activity recently?

Does anyone consider it possible that commercial firms and others may be targeted by such bogus elements later in the year as the RR(FS)O takes effect? And what can we do to eliminate or at least minimise the potential effects of such callers?
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline paul

• http://www.thefireadvisor.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 07:47:38 PM »
I am a Fire Safety Consultant in Mid Devon. Somebody in this area has been telling people that they must have a FRA carried out by them and nobody else will be good enough under the RRFSO. I found this put by speaking to a Hotelier in Honiton who was actually targeted by this person. Makes the honest people among us look bad. The only way to stop it I think is by the honest ones among us showing our clients our qualifications and allowing them to vet us if they want to do so. I don't have a problem with this.

Offline Ashley Wood

• http://www.thermatech.uk.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »
Reg, this is a definite problem and will get worse before it gets better I fear. I have come across a situation myself with a local theatere where there fire alarm maintainance contractor has said that they will be able to provide a fire risk assessment (this is the best part) for £25.00. This includes apparently a special visit, a compliant survey and the issuing of a fully compliant report! I suggested to this client that the price was fantastic and he should grab it quick, I did ask him to request references, copy of a previous risk assessment and sight of there PI before jumping in. Gues what? I am now doing the assessment.

Offline John Webb

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 10:43:23 PM »
I've spoken with a neighbour of mine who works in Trading Standards in North London. He says they are having a spate at the moment of problems with bogus "water board" callers as the drought goes on. I'm passing on the information we've gathered above to him, and he will try and draw the attention of as many other Trading Standards people as possible to our concerns.

If anyone does have further information, please post it here and I'll pass it on.
John Webb

Offline John Webb

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:25:35 AM »
My Diocese has just agreed an Advisory Leaflet to be sent out to all our churches and clergy about the RR(FS)O. This includes a paragraph warning of the potential for people to misuse the need for Risk Assessments as a means of gaining access to a building or mis-selling alleged expertise. I hope this will give some warning and prevent problems arising.
John Webb