Author Topic: Non mechanical Fixing of smoke alarms  (Read 33555 times)

Graeme

Non mechanical Fixing of smoke alarms
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 06:07:49 PM »
how else would you suggest installing something on the ceiling without drilling it?
you seem to know everything,so next time i need advice on fire detection i will give you a shout.
would never have intentionally a pop at FF,s  so get off the high horse.

apologies if i have caused offence.

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 06:26:03 PM »
Hadn't thought of the decorating aspect, good point!
I (wrongly obviously) didn't take your comment on whether we knew the correct place to put them seriously but instead as the joke I thought it was, sorry!.
Certainly in my brigade (I can't speak for others) we are required to complete a training course to ensure we know about that sort of thing before being let loose on the general public!.

Don't worry B&Q has always been very expensive, I'm surprised you could find someone in there who actually knew the difference between 1/2" screws and no nails!

Graeme

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 06:32:15 PM »
Cheers Andy all it required was a polite answer.

I have seen detectors installed by "professional" engineers who are meant to be trained  end up in unusual places.

so my question was only half daft.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 06:34:20 PM »
Graeme - it wasn't the sticking - to which you would be right - it was the asbestos, that is why I am glad that I haven't worked with you. So not you per se, but the materials.

Still somehwat surprised that you thought to ask us whether we knew where to put them, but maybe it was tongue-in-cheek, didn't seem so that was all.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Graeme

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »
Fair enough.Things don't always come across that well on the internet.
A bit like text messages,it will turn the next generation paranoid.

Unfortunately there is still alot of the asbestos in service.They are finding stuff now that i worked on years ago.

not sure what grade it was though.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 07:15:20 PM »
Glad you see that I wasn't having ago at you!

I wonder what material we presntly use will be found to be the next horro? MDF may be it - how many people happily saw it without respiratory protection - professionals won't.......
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Graeme

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 07:24:57 PM »
most pro's don't like you say.I have had to walk out of sites before when builders are cutting breeze blocks with still saws but are too hard to wear a mask.

can't beat seeing a joiner cut up mdf all day coughing his lungs up then sparking up a fag.
picture of health.

i'm going to end up with neck problems when i'm old because i stand looking up at detectors alot when testing.

no worries and sorry about rant

g

Offline Paul

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2005, 08:43:56 PM »
urea formaldehyde and phenol formaldehyde have a whole host of risk phrases attached to them.

pitty when you purchase MDF it doesn't come with any hazard identification or even a UN number or even COSHH information.

But its only for DIY on a Sunday so no one will know.

cough cough splutter.............there goes my other lung!!

if only I'd bought a mask..........Arrrrrrh face fit testing.......urea formaldehyde and phenol formaldehyde it is then!!!

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 09:06:20 PM »
Graeme, I know what you mean if you saw some of the detectors we go round replacing you'd be seriously worried, that is why I think it is such an important intiative to get trained personnel round to as many properties (especially peoples homes) as possible and get proper functioning smoke alarms fitted.

The advantage of getting local fire stations to carry this out is that it also gives the crews on that station very valuable knowledge of the property should the ever have to visit it operationally!, I can think of at least one incident where I have attended a prop. fire at a house where we'd previously carried out a HFSV fortunatley all persons were accounted for (I have no doubt in this instance that the smoke alarms we'd fitted saved thier lives!). The BA team to go in had the benefit of some previous knowledge of the house layout which had they not been the crew who also fitted the alarms they wouldn't have had.

andy

Offline Paul

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 09:22:26 PM »
spot on Andy!!

Offline scott

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 11:32:21 PM »
Quote from: Graeme Millar

Unfortunately there is still alot of the asbestos in service.They are finding stuff now that i worked on years ago.

not sure what grade it was though.
Up until 20yearsago werent they still using asbestos in Artex?

Offline paul t

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 08:40:12 PM »
We use no nails for smoke alarms - most of the time it sticks and when it dosn't (when I am using it!) it drops off the ceiling a few seconds after you have confidently let go - bounces down the stairs and lands face down on the laminate flooring in the hall - and boy does it stick to that. Takes a bit of explaining away re low level detection etc.