Author Topic: newDCLG Disabled Guide link  (Read 6480 times)

Offline Pip

newDCLG Disabled Guide link
« on: March 30, 2007, 11:10:40 AM »
Sorry if it has been posted elseware

http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1506318

Davo

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »
Pip

I have had the guide a month or so, and neither my colleagues or myself has a clue as to what the matrix means! eg Can a visually impaired person use a lift? What does the one mean?

In regard to the rest of it, am I alone in thinking some of the questions are too intrusive?

davo

Offline Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 07:40:32 PM »
This one has just been issued for Scotland, entitled "Evacuation of Disabled Persons from Buildings Guide"

http://www.infoscotland.com/firelaw/template_guide_chapter.jsp?pContentID=195&p_applic=CCC&pElementID=106&pMenuID=1&p_service=Content.show&

Offline Pip

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 04:52:26 PM »
Quote from: Davo
Pip

I have had the guide a month or so, and neither my colleagues or myself has a clue as to what the matrix means! eg Can a visually impaired person use a lift? What does the one mean?

In regard to the rest of it, am I alone in thinking some of the questions are too intrusive?

davo
I think the matrix works like this:You ask/assess the person if they fall into any of the categories listed across the top.You then go down the matrix until you find an option that matches that assessment.The '1' means nothing,the Scottish guide matrix uses'dots' (okay maybe more like 3/4 moons!)
Yes a visually impaired person could use a lift,and may indeed be the best option,but they could use the stairs with assistance.
I don't think the Matrix has quite got all the combinations right/give all the options e.g. it does not spell out an option if someone's disability is visual impairment alone,
but I think you can still deduce a reasonable option.
Yes some of the questions,if asked direct to a person,would seem intrusive (Excuse me sir,before I give you an entrance ticket can you tell me if you are autistic,mentally ill etc?')but much of this can be overcome by simply explaining the evacuation facilities and asking the person what (if any) assisstance they may require to escape in an emergency.