Author Topic: FRACS CPD Day for Fire Risk Assessors - Bristol 13/11/12  (Read 26318 times)

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
FRACS CPD Day for Fire Risk Assessors - Bristol 13/11/12
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
The next FRACS  CPD event for fire risk assessors will be held at  Bristol on  13th November 2012

The event will cover

Fire risk assessment; NHS Fire risk assessment; building sites.

Fire risk assessment templates; debate session.

They will also have several case studies that cover active and passive solutions; so the delegates can learn through others practical experience.

More details to be confirmed at a later date.

Offline kurnal

Re: FRACS CPD Day for Fire Risk Assessors - Bristol 13/11/12
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:41 PM »
Heres the latest details on the FRACS CPD Day

Fire Risk Assessors Certification Scheme Technical Day
Bristol Golf Club - 13th November 2012

£30 including Vat FRACS registered assessors
£80 including Vat other delegates

9.20 – 9.55 am          Registration (Tea/Coffee and hot breakfast bun)
10 – 10.05 am         Welcome and House Keeping
            Simon Ince:            Warrington Certification Limited
10.05 – 10.15 am      Chairman’s welcome and address   Dave Berry     FARMSS         
10.15 – 10.45 am       False Alarms case studies  Simon Adams  Gent Honeywell
10.45 – 11.15 am       Degraded systems     David Ware:   Fire Risk Consultants           

11.15 – 11.45 am       Break (Tea/Coffee and biscuits)

11.45 – 12.15 pm       Means of escape    Gordon Rolfe: FM Consultancy             
12.15 – 12.45 pm       NHS fire risk assessments    Paul Beech  Fagus Fire

12.45 – 1.30 pm       Lunch (finger buffet)           
1.30 – 2.00 pm       Fire protection deficiencies in new built flats      Ian Taylor        Fraigneux

2.00 – 2.30 pm       To be confirmed

2.30 – 2.45 pm       Break (Tea/Coffee and scones)

2.45 – 3.30 pm    Fire risk assessment templates and their contribution to a quality fire risk assessment (debate)
   Paul Beech et al

To book a place contact  Jayne Dennett    phone   01925 646663 or Simon Ince  01925 646658

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:05:10 PM »
All very interesting.  Is it ok if I send our training programme over to you, Big Al since we too provide excellent training courses, which I would be pleased for you to promote. This includes traning in fire risk assessment, fire safety in purpose built blocks of flats, fire alarm standards, fire legislation etc.  Just the ticket for fire risk assessors.  The next course on purpose built blocks of flats is in Belfast this month, and I would be pleased to offer discounted rates for members of Firenet.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline kurnal

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Colin I would be delighted to list details of any CPD accredited courses aimed at fire risk assessors here. I think we should all do at least 30 hours  accredited CPD training per year to promote and maintain professional standards and there is a dearth of training available nationally. This will become an even bigger issue when SP205 arrives. Whether CPD is provided on a commercial basis or not  I think this thread is the place to hear about it. Whilst CPD for alarm installers and others is also relevant those sectors are historically far better provided for than fire risk assessors.

Of course there are non profit making organisations doing a great job of providing CPD- the FIA lead the way in this- and the IFE also offer useful CPD training but not necessarily focussed on the fire risk assessor. I know the IFSM also put on technical days but they never seem to state whether the technical content is CPD accredited or not. Thats why I dont currently copy across the content of their publicity emails though I guess  I should ask the question. If any provider of CPD  would like like their event publicised here they only have to email the details to me and I will look at it in a favourable light.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:26:25 PM »
Many thanks, Big Al.   Just to be clear on the concept of accredited, and ensuring a level playing field, some of our courses are IFE approved, so I suppose that would be OK? Or to be sure all options are open to me, who accredited the FRACS seminar?

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
How much for your course for FN members? When? Where? and Why?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
Many thanks, Big Al.   Just to be clear on the concept of accredited, and ensuring a level playing field, some of our courses are IFE approved, so I suppose that would be OK? Or to be sure all options are open to me, who accredited the FRACS seminar?

I dont know Colin. All I know is that when I attended one I received a CPD certificate though it did not state who had awarded the CPD points or hours. I am aware that the FIA, as members of the CPD Institute  can award their own points to their events. I assume Warrington Certification have some equivalent status but stand to be corrected.

When old Toddy starts asking me questions rather than telling me something its usually to set me up for a fall so I will leave it to those better informed to take this one further.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:59:03 AM by kurnal »

Kelsall

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »

The IFSM have very kindly awarded this event CPD hours.

I personally think that you should only claim what you actually learn from the event and this should be recorded on your CPD log sheet. I got a certificate from a CPD event that I attended last month; I learnt nothing new, left the event early, but still got the certificate and the full 3 hours of CPD credit.

Fire professionals should take time to keep good records of CPD which for me includes articles, guidance and standards that have been read. I have for example, recently recommended to 40 plus people that they should read the purpose built flats guidance. Each one of those 40 will get something different from that read and therefore the CPD outcomes should be different for all. Perhaps the author of the guidance would say that to fully appreciate the details everyone should attend one of his excellent training courses at £185 plus Vat. I would say look around for a different provider, you may find it for £150 plus vat and it will have CPD points awarded by the IFSM.

Stop messing around Colin!

It is a useful CPD day for the profession, with a different and hopefully exciting approach. It’s cheap compared to most CPD days, including yours and the non for profit FIA fire risk assessors’ days.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:49 AM »
So for an extra £35 I would get trained by the practice who wrote the Guidance? Sounds great value to me.

Sign me up Colin.

Kelsall

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
Ah Piglet you do yourself down, a man of your calibre would surely just need to read the document and not attend a full day training course.

My point was that there are many good training courses and seminars available and Kurnal and firenet are doing the right thing by advertising them to the members. I am sure that there may be a need to set some criteria which will be applied to all the events; but that is surely for the administrator to decide not Colin.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:04:58 PM »
I appreciate the complement.

Kelsall

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:28:11 PM »

The final speaking slot has now been filled by DR Jim Marsden who will look at 'Risk.....Challenging the enforcers view'

I am sure that will prompt some very lively debate.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:05:12 PM »
Piglet, As your boss bought the lunches last time round, you will, of course, not be paying the extra £35.  Nay, to save you from cheap look-alikes, you will be paying only £145 plus VAT. You have just missed one in Belfast unfortunately. It was very well received, including one member from Firenet, who travelled from England for the event and it  was nice to meet after so long. The overall delegate satisfaction score was 98%, probably in part due to the excellent 3 course lunch as provided on our courses.

Any other Firenet members wanting to sign up, should contact me personally at the usual email address. We will be running numerous training courses next year, including a fire risk assessment one day refresher, so we would also be pleased to provide the training programme.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:12:43 PM by colin todd »

Kelsall

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »
The last day to book a place on this event is Friday 9th November. Please don't miss out on what promises to be a really interesting day.

Offline colin todd

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
Curses, I am in hospital on 9 November and wont be able to book it. Oh dear, never mind.