Author Topic: Historic/Religious buildings  (Read 4519 times)

Offline Zinzan

Historic/Religious buildings
« on: February 08, 2007, 03:30:11 PM »
Can anyone point me in the direction of some guidance to read when assessing this type of premises - or I am stuck with the Large Places of Assembly guide?
Many hopeful thanks.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
You may find what you want on the following link - which was sent to me by John S Webb who regularly posts on this forum and may well add more valuable advce.
www.cmainc.org.uk.

follow the link for fire safety

Offline John Webb

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:18:21 PM »
Dear Zinzan,
The Guide to small & medium places may be also be of use for smaller churches, chapels, 'house churches' and the like. The requirements are a bit less onerous than for large places. kurnal has given you the link to the Churches Main Committe site where there is a shorter guide for churches/church halls.

For historic and listed buildings advice is also available from English Heritage or the Welsh and Scottish equivilants.

Church insurers (such as the Ecclesiastical Insurance Group) also give advice and have much experience of protecting buildings, at least from the property viewpoint. But this usually helps to protect the occupants as well so should not be ignored.

Hope this is of help.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)

Offline Zinzan

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Many thanks for this - I will have a look. The religious/historic building is a choir school. Am I better off looking at the draft BB100 for this, or the sources mentioned above?

Offline John Webb

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »
I'd think the guide on 'Educational Premises' ought to be consulted on this first and foremost.
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)