Author Topic: Fire alarms in hotels  (Read 17194 times)

Offline AFD

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 09:04:23 PM »
I have this week stayed in a 4 star hotel ( anniversary, so she said it had to be !) in central London 5 storeys, 25m plus dead ends, doors fd30ish, no smoke seals, and an L4 system ( in corridors and stairs only), staff not fluent in english and not a clue what to do, so RRfsO not reached the West End of the capital yet.

Offline CivvyFSO

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 09:01:52 AM »
Nice. Sounds like a good one to submit a complaint about and ask to be informed of the outcome? Sounds like one of those that had a certificate for years and is now a prime target.

(I do hope you went on to enjoy your night, and didn't start explaining to your wife the potential outcomes of the lack of fire safety and offer a risk assessed solution.)

messy

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 02:41:22 PM »
AFD: If you are truly concerned about this address, contact 0207 587 2300 (LFB Westminster Borough FS Team).

They will carry out an immediate visit and will most definately, upon request, let you know the outcome.

Offline jokar

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 06:33:27 PM »
Did you check their FRA?  It may well have assessed these items with an outcome of work to be undertaken or not as the case may be.  European hotels are far worse.

Offline AFD

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 11:55:55 AM »
To CivvyFSO, no I didn't because she saw me looking at doors on the way in and told me "don't start, your not a work now " she knows me too well, and I have to do as I am told.  To the others replies thank you, will follow it up, when I have done the dishes and hoovered up !

Offline nearlythere

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
Quote from: AFD
I have this week stayed in a 4 star hotel ( anniversary, so she said it had to be !) in central London 5 storeys, 25m plus dead ends, doors fd30ish, no smoke seals, and an L4 system ( in corridors and stairs only), staff not fluent in english and not a clue what to do, so RRfsO not reached the West End of the capital yet.
If it was an anniversary weekend had you nothing else to do other than check the Fire Safety? Is there no romance in your soul?

Probably Risk Assessed rather than made Code Compliant.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline Redone

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 04:46:28 PM »
3 decent hotel fires later...

Offline Martin Burford

• http://none
Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 04:59:08 PM »
Nearly there
Remember the days when hotels had Fire Certifcates and annual inspections my FPO's..........I like the 3 hotel fire later comment!!
Conqueror.

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »
Hotels never caught fire in them days eh.

Midland Retty

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »
Quote from: jokar
FRS can not require anything.  RR(FS)O is about the RP assessing the risks and deciding whether the control measures are suitable and sufficient, if not then they may need additional measures.  The FRS, fire police, can only enforce against the standard of the day.
FRS cant require anything? Who on earth told you that?

If I came across a hotel with little or no detection it would be at the very minimum straight to an enforcement notice requiring an L2 system be installed.

Yes it is down to the RP doing a risk assessment but theres no way he could risk assess not having detection.

THe FRS can REQUIRE compliance with the RR(FS)O 2005

Offline Martin Burford

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
Wee brian
Can you tell me the last occsassions when 3 hotel fires of the magnitude repoted occured ?
conqueror

Offline Martin Burford

Fire alarms in hotels
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
Sorry about the spelling.. was distracted by my telephone!
Conqueror