FIRE SAFETY > Dangerous Substances Explosive Atmospheres

Three dimensional extent of an explosive atmosphere

(1/6) > >>

BLEVE:
In an attempt to kick start this thread:

Many assessors are capable of following BS EN 60079 part 10 when it comes to calculating the hypothetical volume of an explosive atmosphere. However, the standard and many forms of guidance does not provide a method of calculating a three dimensional extent of such a zone.

This is a frequent problem encountered by many and is a question frequently asked.

The hypothetical volume of an explosive atmosphere (Vz) can be calculated as a sphere by using the following:

Radius of hazardous area in metres = (Vz/((4/3)*(3.142)))^0.33

BLEVE:
Civvy
that was especially intended for your pleasure

;D

CivvyFSO:
All you seem have done there is shown how to calculate a radius of a sphere of a given volume.

Thanks for that blast from the past, it takes me right back to being at school. I thoroughly enjoyed O level maths.

Do you have a point or is this just a failed attempt at smart arsery?  :-*

BLEVE:
The point being many people have forgotten this or failed to recognise the simplicity of it. Typically they follow the Standard and arrive at calculated Vz and ask whats next.

Now if I wanted to be a smart arse I would have calculated the extent of a gas cloud by guassian dispersion hand calculation but I will save that pleasure for another day. :P

I am sure you are sharpening your razor like wit as I type ;D

CivvyFSO:
Gaussian dispersion? BY HAND??? Ooh, you are SO clever BLEVE!

Is that what you are wanting?

Mind you, any calcs relying on convergence would be surely be better off done on a spreadsheet? Creating yourself MORE work to attempt to prove a point to some random halfwit on an internet forum is not what I consider clever.

Now if you will excuse me I shall go find something mentally challenging to do.

I think I might dig my Blade DVD out. That ought to do it for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version