FIRE SAFETY > Dangerous Substances Explosive Atmospheres

x-ray machines in dental practises.

(1/2) > >>

Pointer:
Can anyone tell me for certain or guide me in the right direction as to whether there is a need for lead lined doors to dental consulting rooms where digital x-ray machines are used. Also would fire resisting doors of substantial construction provide the necessary degree of shielding required should a degree of shielding be required.
I am considering normal dental consulting rooms here and not full blown x-ray theatres.

kurnal:
I would ask the manufacturer of the equipment. They will produce a safe system of work for the machine which will cover the risk to exposure. The Health Proytection Agency enforce this and are responsible for guidance, licensing schemes and setting safe limits.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation

You may be better to ask your question under the  Healthcare thread, whilst it is doubtful anyone here will be competent to answer your question directly there are more likely to be people who will know where to point you.

I will check on progress later and may move this thread across  if there are no more replies

Davo:
Pointer

Do the staff wear protective gear?

X rays normally only travel a few feet, and its doubtful persons passing by will be exposed.

If you went for an X Ray yourself, no more than 6 per year!

davo

Mike Buckley:
"Also would fire resisting doors of substantial construction provide the necessary degree of shielding required should a degree of shielding be required."

I would doubt it. The penetration of radiation is dependant on the density of the material it is passing through hence the use of lead, so if the door needed to be shielded to stop the radiation, a normal fire door would not be sufficient.

AnthonyB:
A major national chain of dentists we work for don't use lead doors and have all the necessary radiological safety & monitoring paperwork to support this.

Mostly FD30s doors are used, or normal doors (some of which are being upgraded/replaced resulting from FRAs)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version