Author Topic: Foam Expansion  (Read 4971 times)

Offline kt

Foam Expansion
« on: October 03, 2004, 02:38:58 PM »
Can any body helpme ?

Is foam expansion is related to the construction of foam making equipmet?

If so what are the constructional features of the equipment which are responsible for foam expansion and drain time?

Thanks in advance

Offline John Webb

Foam Expansion
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:22:26 PM »
You asked if the expansion properties of foam is related to construction of the foam-making equipment. The answer, briefly, is 'Yes'. It is some years since I worked on foam at the Fire Research Station, but as I recall:
(a) Low expansion foam: Produced by a nozzle with two or more holes producing jets which hit each other to form a course spray inside a tube. The spray induces air into the foam, the tube directs the foam thus produced towards the fire.
(b) Medium expansion foam: Spray nozzle produces a finer spray, possibly impinging onto a mesh screen of some sort; this induces a greater volume of air to increase the expansion, but at the loss of much forward momentum so that the produced foam is not projected very far.
(c) High-expansion foam: Extra air is forced mechanically by a fan into a mesh (often plastic netting) onto which a foam solution is sprayed; this blows larger bubbles than is possible in (a) and (b).
Fire Service Manual, Volume 2, Firefighting Foam, contains a lot of information on foam equipment and may be of use to you.

Sorry I havn't written before, but this aspect of FireNet was only shown to me today!
John Webb
Consultant on Fire Safety, Diocese of St Albans
(Views expressed are my own)