Author Topic: New member extremely interested in recruitment in the Midlands area.  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Timmos

Good afternoon all.

I am currently extremely interested in joining the Fire and Rescue Service somewhere within the East Midlands. I was wondering if anybody in the know could give me any indication of when they are looking at recruiting again? I have regularly been monitoring all of the local F&R Service websites since the end of last year and obviously they have still yet to change. I have now stumbled across this website which I hope can shed more light on the recruitment situation for me.

Also, if anybody who has been through the recruitment process can give me any advice/pointers that would be much appreciated.  :D I'm fairly sure that I have read everything there is to read on the recruitment process on the web, but I feel any advice from anyone with first hand experience would be extremely helpful!

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
Tim

Midland Retty

Re: New member extremely interested in recruitment in the Midlands area.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
Hi Tim

Welcome to the forums.

Its not good news I'm afraid. Most brigades have halted recruitment due to the current financial climate and impending cuts.

The next key budget announcement isn't until October and until that comes the UK Fire Service can't guage what their budgets are going to be, and how many cuts / savings to make.

So unfortunately it is a very uncertain time all round, and if I'm brutally honest I don't see brigades recruiting for the next few years atleast, but do monitor websites such as fireservice.co.uk, whom try to publish details of all UK brigades recruiting, and individual brigade websites to see if there are any openings.

There are things you could do in the meantime. You could look at non-public fire services, such as airport brigades, there are number of private brigades out there too, protecting semi MoD sites, large industrial complexes. There is also the MoD Defence Fire Service, but I would assume they will also be affected by cuts and wont be recruiting.

Im not sure how the cuts will affect the retained service. I know some areas are still recruiting for retained firefighters, but of course that is only any good to you if you live near a retained station, or you are prepared to move to an area where retained officers are required.

We will know more after October, sorry for painting a bit of a depressing picture, but I'd rather be honest.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:43:09 PM by Midland Retty »

Offline Timmos

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
Midland Retty,

Thank you for the response, and for pretty much confirming what I assumed would be the case anyway. Obviously I was hoping for the best but I guess the outlook is looking bleak!

I will definitely check out the non-public fire services though, this is an area I havent explored upto now so fingers crossed there is somthing out there.

Again, thank you for the response, it is much appreciated!

Regards,

Tim

joe stirling

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:37:17 PM »
Hi Tim :)! I know it's not much use to you but Grampian F&RS are currently recruiting, albeit only till Fri 16th Jul! Can someone also offer advice on what the piece of equipment is that is used in the equipment assembly test used nationally ::)? Thanks in advance :)Joe

Offline Timmos

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 04:50:48 PM »
Thanks Joe,

To be honest it's quite nice to actually see one of the application forms after months and months of looking! But you're right, as nice as Grampian is, it is a little too far to commute! haha

Thanks all the same! :)

Tim

joe stirling

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
No probs Tim, good luck with your application, when it happen's ???!Joe.

Offline Tom W

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »
Timmos

This may be of use to you. East Sussex aren't recruiting but its helpful info http://www.esfrs.org/careers/recruitmentProcess.shtml

Offline Cat

• I can't wait to drive with flishy flashy woo woo's
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:48:12 AM »
Hi Timmos,

See PM I sent you  :)

Offline Mike Buckley

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:04 PM »
Hi Timmos,

Another thing to do is go through the various websites particularly look at the CLG one and make sure you tick all the boxes on what is wanted from a firefighter.

Recruitment these days is pretty savage and the better you fit the profile the better chance you will have to start on the selection process. Even then luck and persistance will pay a large part.

Good luck
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.