Author Topic: Derelict building arson  (Read 12178 times)

Offline Sarah

Derelict building arson
« on: April 19, 2004, 01:39:01 PM »
Hi we are having considerable problems with derelict building arson fires at the moment – the MO suggests that youths are responsible – we are trying to co-ordinate a programme of fire safety talk in schools on the dangers and consequences of arson particularly in these types of properties in schools in the locality yr 5 – yr 8 –– have any other ATF’s focused on this type of problem – do you have any recourses that I could look at for a bit of inspiration.

Thanks

Sarah Lawlor
Luton ATF

Derelict building arson
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:58:45 PM »
sarah, good luck!!!

the issue was raised at the cacfoa eastern region, i suggested to lok at the home office guidance on derelict premises as a start, i know it doesnt solve the issue but it may help reduce opportunities.

i would also suggest you speak with debbie brown ex tyne and wear now northumberland f&r, she has done some good work in this area along with from donna smith from hampshire f&r

dave bev

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
Derelict building arson
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 03:00:09 PM »
Its a little known fact that Local Authorities can make a derelict building secure (put up fences ect) for safety reasons and then charge the owner.

Its in the Local Government Misc Provisions Act (section 19 I think).

This may help where the owners are not behaving.

Derelict building arson
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 12:51:31 PM »
wee b, thats the guidance i was referring to, im pleased that at least it isnt just me that is sad enough to know about these 'obscure' documents!!

dave bev

Chris Houston

Derelict building arson
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 01:10:26 PM »
Advise your insurer.

I advise local authorities on unoccupied buildings on a regular basis.  We just about always tell them to:

Secure all the doors and windows with 18mm plywood attached with non return screws at 150mm intervals.
Turn off all the services except those to fire, security and safety systems.  Drain the water system.
Inspect the building internally and externaly at least weekly.
Continue to maintain the external lighting and landscaping.
Install fencing, intruder alarm systems as appropriate.
Remove all contents (this is especially important, as they could be used to start a fire.)
Take all waste materials off of site.

There is a drama based workshop you can buy called "ACT" please contact me at chris.houston@uk.zurich.com if you need details on this.  As the insurers of most local authorities and similar organisations, we endorse it.

Offline Ian Currie

Derelict building arson
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 12:04:47 PM »
Sarah
If you still need more ideas contact Lothian and Borders Fire Brigade, the Community Safety department have had a very succesfull schools programme running for many years now which takes in both primary and secondary schools. They are based in the brigade HQ, Edinburgh. 0131 228 2401.

Derelict building arson
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 09:07:55 PM »
you could get in touch with Tyne and Wear, we have had a scheme in place for a few years now where the CFS department work along side the local council to clear refuse and board up derelict houses or get the contractor to pull the premis down ASAP.
call 0191 2321224 and ask for the CFS department

Derelict building arson
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 09:38:45 AM »
sarah, the ncfsc is looking at a new educational strategy in terms of curriculm etc etc. suggest you try to contact karen haestier, who may be able to offer some assistance. if you need a copy of the guidance note i referred to earlier give me a shout and i'll try to dig out my copy, though im sure you can find it on the net if you look hard enough.

how are the environmental action days going?

dave bev

Derelict building arson
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 10:48:22 AM »
Sarah,
The documents dave refers to are Fire Service Circulars 11 & 12 /2002 issued by ODPM.

Having had similar problems, we visited Tyne & Wear where we were able to gain a lot of useful guidance. This led to our estabishing a partnership with Leicester City Council which has proved to be very effective in reducing fires in void and derelict properties.

Tim Moss

Derelict building arson
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 12:53:27 PM »
thanks tim

dave bev