Author Topic: BS5839  (Read 31231 times)

Offline wee brian

• Administrator
BS5839
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2004, 04:29:01 PM »
The consultation draft of the new ADB is expected "early" in 2005.

BS5839
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2004, 12:04:15 PM »
Colin, Wee Brian,

Thanks for that.

I want to make some comments about the ADB and as to wether they would be relevant for the revision, but I'm unsure as to how the process works. Would this be part of the *consultation draft* in 2005, or should I make some noises now, and of course, to who?

Offline Mark

BS5839
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 12:06:31 PM »
Oops, didn,t put my name to last post!!

Colin, Wee Brian,

Thanks for that.

I want to make some comments about the ADB and as to wether they would be relevant for the revision, but I'm unsure as to how the process works. Would this be part of the *consultation draft* in 2005, or should I make some noises now, and of course, to who?

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
BS5839
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2004, 05:20:52 PM »
Mark, the rules for consultation are these:

1. Don't offer anything technical . Things that are too technical hurt their heads, and civil servants do not like to work with sore heads.

2. If there is anything that will be politically expedient, give it to them. They will welcome it with open arms.

3. Think up a load of phooey for a regulatory impact assessment for anything you suggest. For example, say that in the year 2094 on a Saturday in July when it is raining it might possibly save a gay firefighter from breaking his or her nail, so saving the local authority thousands in compensation. If you can prove that the firefighter will come from an ethnic minority so much the better. Do not worry about any scientific evidence for all this. No one will think to challenge it anyway. Just say you are from a private sector research body that used to be owned by HM Government.

4. Say that when you were on hols in the free democratic republic of Kikyaasspunkastan you couldn't help but notice that fire exit signs had a photograph of their leader, Yurapaininass Vladivitch Shootemall. Now that Kikyasspunkastan is part of the EU should we not do the same for European harmonization. However, suggest that we could have a local interpretation and have pictures of John Prescott, so that fire officers will be disinclined to inspect the building, leaving the potential for ongoing control to be given to building control.

5. Make sure that no matter whether it is right or wrong, you go down the pub and ask all your friends to sign a petition demanding that your measure be incorporated. Don't worry if they have any interest or knowledge about fire safety, neither will the policy makers or minister to whom you send the petition, but it will create a lot of post and civil servants don't like a lot of post. They have to spend time opening it, and they won't read the contents, only what  it is you want and why you are bothering them. Then they will give it to you.

6. Tell them that whatever you want is not necessary in Scotland and Northern Ireland and that, by including it, it will make the guidance in Scotland and Northern ireland different, and then their opposite numbers there will have to run around like blue arsed flies wondering if they should have it too. The thought of that always gives them a chuckle, and reminds them who won the Battle of the Boyne and Culloden.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Offline colin todd

BS5839
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »
OOps pressed wrong button.

Finally, have an appendix Z, which says that, as part of deregulation, no fire safety measures apply to any building that has a sign on the outside stating that the building is not fire safe and that people enter at their own risk, so long as it is safe for disabled people.

Offline JamesG

BS5839
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2004, 08:02:07 AM »
You old (?) cynic you!

James

Offline Mark

BS5839
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2004, 08:54:21 AM »
Ok, now thats answered as to how in Colins *unique* approach .....but to who?

Anybody got a name, tele No.

Perhaps the FBU can make some sense of Colin's methodology (Dave Bev where are you !!!!)

Cheers Mark

BS5839
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »
mark, the cavalry have arrived, just in time to save you from the depths of despair!

although colins comments are pretty valid he misses the point in number 4 where he should have included reference to the 'running (scared) man' signs, uk law will allow the signs to depict either bush or blair waving goodbye on their way out, as an alternative. other than that he's pretty spot on!

oh, and you could try anthony burd at the odpm - last time i put someones number up on here its because they had included it in a document asking for comment/feedback. i dont think anthony has done that yet so i cant issue it either. if you scroll through the odpm site and through recent documents you may find a few telephone numbers you could try

ps anthony isnt a bad bloke either, i might not agree with everything he is at least honest and genuine and does want to get the job done correctly

Offline Mark

BS5839
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2004, 11:44:35 AM »
Dave

Good ter here from you. So what you are basically saying is that you agree with Colin blah blah blah and oh, don't forget the escape clause, just in case its found to be WMD......but it might not !!

Thanks for the name and I will follow up in my usual way. Just to let you know we are getting some good vibes and will of course keep you posted nearer the time.

Cheers

Mark

BS5839
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2004, 12:08:17 PM »
mark, just been checking my swiss bank account and your monthly donations to 'good causes' seem to have stopped!

i hope colins new revolutionary party, or is it the revolutionary new party of colin?, arent receiving your well intentioned monetary advice slips?

the point really is what has adb ever done for us?

glad to see things are on the up, thought you were going to fire 2004, i had an additional leccy supply available in case you turned up 'blagging' again?

dave bev

Offline colin todd

BS5839
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2004, 02:01:42 PM »
If you really want to comment, send the comments to the Buildings Division, ODPM, Portland House, Stag Place, SW1E 5LP. Mark the comments for the waste paper bin in the south east corner toilets, thereby cutting out the middle man.

Offline Mark

BS5839
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 08:51:52 AM »
Dave,,,,, my lager token friend !!

Yes we did go to Fire2004, but only on the first day. They wanted to stick us on some toilet in the north east of GMEX for about £3K !! It seemed  targetted towards equipment for the brigade than actual fire prevention ideas, but still worth the visit even if it was for the curry in Rusholme.

I think I,m getting the drift of both you and Colin's views and if I were a snail I may eventually make progress, only to be told to start from the beginning again !!

Well lets see what a video can do and see if we can prevent that chip pan fire. I,m that will open a few eyes!! However we don't want to burn Alisters house down (again) and need the correct environment for the test (Moreton on the Marsh are you looking). I,m sure based on earlier comments Colin could suggest certain buildings, but I,m not convinced they would be relevant....Needless to say I,m prepared to listen

Regards

Mark