Author Topic: Fire Suppression Systems For the Old and Vunerable!  (Read 23653 times)

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
Fire Suppression Systems For the Old and Vunerable!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2004, 09:54:01 PM »
Sorry, Messey, I thought bullying was endemic in certain large metropolitan fire brigades, and I wanted you to feel at home. Anyway, I wasn't bullying, just being tetchy.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 01:37:58 PM »
It is interesting to read comments regarding whether or not the cupboard/store in question would have required a sprinkler if a system was installed.
Surely though the question now should be is the code adequate and should the code insist on coverage in these areas.
We learn by experience or so I'm told.

Chris Houston

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 10:43:27 PM »
Has there been any official report on the Scottish care home fire?

Offline colin todd

• Civilianize enforcement -you know it makes sense.
    • http://www.cstodd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2004, 12:46:58 AM »
No, Christopher, not yet, but there will be one in plenty of time for res care to be made safe enough by the time you need to take up residence in one. There will either be a fatal accident enquiry  (before a sherrif) or a public enquiry. In either case, given that this is the largest loss of life in a single non-domestic fire since King's Cross, I thought I might attend at least the last day of any enquiry, as there are bound to be useful lessons for res care. If you would be interested in attending too, let me know. Hopefully, one outcome will be to erradicate the current conflicting guidance in official documents regarding self closing devices on doors, although I have to say that, in Scotland, the guidance is ahead of the rest of the UK on this matter.
Colin Todd, C S Todd & Associates

Chris Houston

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 10:57:33 PM »
I'd love to come along, although I suspect my employers might not be as keen on it........

Cheers for the offer, hopefully we can speak about it nearer the time.

Offline afterburner

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2004, 02:49:35 PM »
Thought you all migt like an update on this fire and it's outcomes. The Scottish Executive, dashing to close the stable door instructed all Scotish Fire Authorities to enforce fire safety legislation and provisons in care homes (overlooking the inference that before the fire non-enforcement was the order of day). So the Brigades have been off 'enforcing'
Now our Local Press is full of letters from relatives of residents in care homes saying their nearest and dearest are suicidal at becoming isolated and cut off becuase fire doors are shut.
Care home owners operators wring their hands and mutter about regulations, but no one suggests permissible ways of holding these doors open until the fire alarm detects and operates. Could there be a cost motive here?
Anyway, the current situation is relatives are mooting in the press that if they sign a waiver saying they accept the risks, the fire doors can be left open. The position seems to be that being isolated is worse than being fatally injured in a fire.
If you follow the links through www.scotsman.com to Evening News and delve around for Readers Letters, you'll read about this developing public trend in believing fire safety is too onerous for care homes!

Chris Houston

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2004, 09:57:51 PM »
Signing a waiver?  What if the fire starts in their room?  Do they go round at night asking who's signed?  What a daft situation.

I agree with the above - Hold the doors open with electromagnetic door holders interfaced with suitable fire detection.