Author Topic: Heat or smoke detection in hotel bedrooms opinion please  (Read 46208 times)

Offline PhilB

Heat or smoke detection in hotel bedrooms opinion please
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
Excellent link TW please all posters to this debate read this....good old Toddddy I rarely agreed with him but I did on this point.....say what you want about the old chap but he does know his stuff (about fire alarms).

Where is dear Mr Todddd these days I do miss the banter...come on Colllin come out of hiding! I bet he knows some animal jokes!

http://www.fire.org.uk/punbb/upload/viewtopic.php?id=786

Offline Geoff

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
Hi folks,

May I take this in a slightly different direction and apply the same question to keyworker/student accommodation?

Basically what I have are a couple of new developments where I have 11 blocks each of 4 floors, two flats to each floor and a single central staircase.  The flats are made up of common corridor, lounge/kitchen diner, 4 ensuite bedrooms.  The initiatl proposal was to have SDs in the common areas (except kitchen which would be HD) and HD in the bedrooms.  The BCO has come back and said that he wants SD in the bedrooms as well!  I should probably add that the alarms themselves will only initially sound in the flat where the activation occured, in the central accommodation office and at the monitoring station.  Obviously a second activation, etc will alert the whole block!

Would the reasoning expressed by Mr Todd and Phil regarding HD in the bedrooms still follow or is the BCO right in insisting on SD?

All opinions most welcome!

Offline PhilB

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
Geoff

The fact that this is a new development puts an entirely different slant on this. There are modern systems out there that can provide smoke detection in the rooms without the high false alarms......it all comes down to correct system design and choice of appropriate smoke detector heads.

If we agree that some form of detection is needed in the room, and I assume we do, and that that detection is primarily to warn the occupants of the other rooms that the corridor may soon be compromised........fitting smoke detection MAY also save the person in the room and I would recommend it's provision.

This is entirely different scenario from FRS serving notices to have existing systems using HDs to be upgraded to smoke......in my opinion.

Offline Geoff

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
Phil,

Many thanks for that!  That was the tack I was going to take with the developer and I just wanted to be clear on what I was going to say before I go in and have to listen to her incredibly shrill voice for two hours!  LOL!

Cheers

Geoff