Author Topic: Hotel Fire Doors  (Read 32882 times)

Offline nearlythere

Hotel Fire Doors
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »
Quote from: Davidrh
Hi everone
I need further help here.
The Fire officers who gave me till August to put in smoke seals has now said that my existing intrumisent strips (in my lobby and hallway doors..some double) are also no good and they need smoke seals with brushes "
Is that right ???. Where does this all end ??
You have to ask and you have a right to know exactly why "they are no good". "They are no good" is not a good enough explanation if that is what you were advised.
What type of building is it?
Have you carried out a FRA?
What does it say about the doors?
Did you put the smoke seals on the doors (this is August)?
What are the circumstances that made him/her tell you that the intumescant strips are "no good"?
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Hotel Fire Doors
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 10:48:46 PM »
In response to Messy
Its not particularly about money at all.
Its about how likely a fire is to occur and whether if it does anybody will be hurt. Management is a critical factor probably to a greater extent than passive measures. The scruffy hotel immediatley tells you management is crap- if they arent prepared to improve the management you will compensate by ensuring the passive measures are spot on and check regularly that they are maintaining them. Cos that all you can do in the circumstances.
It doesnt matter though how much we spend on physical fire precautions- if people do the wrong thing they will get hurt. Human factors are by far the biggest cause of accidents in every aspect of H&S.

So proportionality is down to the size, management and character of the premises.  

At the hilton there are hundreds of people at risk. Due to numbers there is likely to be a wider more diverse population with more special needs. The buildings are large and high. if someone wedges a door open more people are at risk as a consequence. They are going to get seriously hurt if they jump out of a high window. There are more likely to be more people under the influence and the all night bar encourages this. There may even  be none or maybe just one night porter on duty looking after hundreds of people. Theres no way in an emergency anyone can quickly check all guests respond and evacuate. Many will stay put- studies show this. They are likely to stay put until tipped out by the fire service. They will be at risk for longer- and if they do evacuate have longer travel distances to a final exit.

At rose cottage B&B Mr and Mrs diligent have great pride in their home. they have spent a life time accumulating their prized belongings and creating a lovely home. They choose to supplement their income by letting a couple of bedrooms. They cannot take non ambulant people because of the stairs, and are very careful about who they offer a room to. After all ther antique collection is worth thousands. They show each guest around the house and personally tell them the house rules- no candles, no smoking. Mr diligent wont go to bed till the guests have retired. Mr and Mrs diligent sleep in the room next to the guests. If the smoke alarms sound they will make sure the guests respond. This means that the evacuation is over in a couple of minutes, before the folk at the Hilton have even decidsed whether to let the alarm ring a little longer to see if it stops. In view of these measures I suggest that with a good coverage of detectors, good management and supervision, small building, short travel distances  even though the nice panel doors are not fire doors Mr and Mrs diligent really dont need to change them.

Thats my view on proportionality.

Offline kurnal

• http://www.peakland-fire-safety.co.uk
Hotel Fire Doors
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »
David
If you want to call me for a chat feel free to do so. Phone number on the website.
Not looking to pick up a job out of it, we have enough on out plate,  its just that there are more questions than can be asked on this forum.