Author Topic: FRS to advise or not?  (Read 21554 times)

Offline Mike Buckley

Re: FRS to advise or not?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
Although I agree with Phoenix's premise, I disagree with the attitude. Yes the people who seek advice are aware and less likely to have fires but they also talk to their business associates. Which attitude would you prefer from the business community: "I had a problem and I asked the Fire Service and they were very helpful" or "I had a problem and I asked the Fire Service and they weren't really interested and told me to go and read it up for myself. I wonder why I am paying Council Tax to employ them"
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it.

Offline Phoenix

• Get a bicycle. You will not live to regret it
    • MetaSolutions (Fire Safety Engineering) Ltd.
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
Good point, Mike. 

I think FSO's comments indicate what a balancing act it can be.  At the end of the day, it's down to each FRS what policy they adopt and, in my experience, it devolves further - sometimes down to who happens to answer the phone in the fire safety office, sometimes down to what mood the person who answers the phone is in.

In general, and in my very humble opinion, I think FRS officers should respect approaches from people who come to them in good faith and they should give appropriate advice, but they should be efficient in giving their advice and they should maintain their overall focus on their audit programmes.  And it is down to individual officers to make sure they do not get drawn into protracted cases where the punter is taking the piss.  It's happened to me.

Stu

Offline CivvyFSO

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2009, 09:26:35 PM »
I wonder why I am paying Council Tax to employ them

Mainly so that when you have a fire, someone turns up with some water and some ladders?