Author Topic: Final Interview Next week - Advice please  (Read 4100 times)

Offline jhoneyman

Final Interview Next week - Advice please
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
Hi all,

Been reading through the forum for info with regards to the final interview stage for a wholetime fire fighter role.

I am aware of the PQA's which now play an important part in the modern day recruitement process.

I have been looking at my previous experiences which relate to each Attribute mentioned.
I will note down examples and remember them

Could anyone shed some light on the format of the answer ?!
Will it just be a straightford answer relating to a past experience or do I have to answer in a structured manner as well as referring the experience in relation to the fire fighter role?

Also upon entering the interview room; I have been told to shake each members hand upon entering and leaving. Is this good practise ?

What questions are revelvant to ask at the end of the interview?

I have tried 5 times previous and determined this time round to gain entry.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks
John

Offline lfb987

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
Hi John

In a PQA interview its not so much question like it was several years ago (i.e Why you want to be a Firefighter? etc) but an open ended style of interview. Basically they will ask you to give an example of a situation relating to each of the PQA areas. Wording can vary slightly depending on the service but its the same questions. 'Tell us about a time when you have shown commitment to excellence' or 'In your previous roles can you think of a time when diversity was shown to be important' etc etc

If you just follow the PQA's you got a good chance. As you probably already seen on here, its a case of telling them what they want to hear.

Try and follow the S.T.A.R format of answer.

Situation - What the problem/ issue was

Task - What you had been told to do or had decided to do

Action - What you did

Result - The outcome, what you learnt

Good Luck

Offline Andy Cole

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
I echo lfb's post!

The STAR system really does work well, it also gives you the ability to bring yourself back if you find your rambling on a bit, just think which bit you should be on and go from there!

As for shaking hands, won't do any harm will it!, if your offered a drink take it, even if you don't drink it you can use it as a pause while you collect your thoughts if you need to!

Do you know what PQA's you will be questioned on?

Have a look at the brigades website for ideas on questions to ask, in my interview (last November) I asked about a scheme they are running for children and how I could get involved as a probationary Firefighter, anything to do with Community Fire Safety is always a good one!

Good luck, the interviewers aren't there to catch you out but to get as much information about you as possible in the relatively short time available, and sometimes people do actually pass, I start my recruits course on Monday!!

Offline jhoneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »
Thanks for the replies.. Very helpful :)

The brigade are not specific on what PQA's will be asked. However I have drafted scenarios for each PQA that they can possibly ask.

After reading this forum I am more confident than I was last week.

I wish everyone luck in the future.

John