Author Topic: Key Issues Affecting The Fire Service Today?  (Read 4277 times)

Offline NS

Key Issues Affecting The Fire Service Today?
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
Hello

This is my fist post on here so please forgive me if I am duplicating an already answered question.

I have my final interview early next month and would like to be as prepared as possible. Do any of you know what some of the Key issues that affect the fire service are? Anything relating particularly to Scotland would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Offline toidi

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 03:31:55 PM »
NS
Don't know what Brigade in Scotland you are going for but when I was involved in the initial interviews I was shocked at how many had never read the literature that the brigade issued them with!
This was a few years ago and I don't know how valid it is now but make sure you have an idea about diversity and exactly what it means.
It does not mean "because people are a different religion or colour, it does not necessarily mean they're weird"
which was an example someone got from a failed candidate at a recruiting interview.
In relation to key issues affecting the service, all I can suggest is what Firefighters do now as opposed to when I retired about 4 years ago. Now they do Urban Search and rescue, water and mud rescue and rope rescues not to mention the increased terrorist threat- sorry, I nearly forgot the most important thing you will have to do as a firefighter, COMMUNITY SAFETY!
Anyway , all the best.

Offline fireftrm

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »
Look at www.fireservice.co.uk and the bulletin board there, great recruitment section that should help you.
My posts reflect my personal views and beliefs and not those of my employer. If I offend anyone it is usually unintentional, please be kind. If it is intentional I guess it will be clear!

Offline NS

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your help. I will have a look at what you have suggested. Fingers crossed it will go better than last time!

NS

Offline nearlythere

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 05:30:20 PM »
Quote from: NS
Hello

This is my fist post on here so please forgive me if I am duplicating an already answered question.

I have my final interview early next month and would like to be as prepared as possible. Do any of you know what some of the Key issues that affect the fire service are? Anything relating particularly to Scotland would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!
Look up the website of the Service concerned. It will ,or should be, full of all the gumph you are asking about.
We're not Brazil we're Northern Ireland.